Doctor insights on:
Meningitis Is It Contagious
I was told that Lyme meningitis isn't contagious through casual contact. Is it contagious through sexual contact or kissing?
No: Lyme disease is not contagious at all. Please be skeptical about the diagnosis. There is a lot of medical literature showing that it is over-diagnosed. Blood tests for it can often be falsely positive, or misinterpreted. Many people claim to be Lyme disease experts. I would trust only a board-certified infectious disease specialist at an academic center to make the rare diagnosis of Lyme in brain. ...Read more
Some > than others: Some forms are much more worrisome than others. Meningococcal meningitis is quite contagious and close contacts are routinely given antibiotics to interrupt transmission. Pneumococcal meningitis contacts are not, since the germ is relatively common among normal individuals and it has not been found necessary. ...Read more
Yes: Although some types are more contagious than others, the three most common types of bacterial meningitis all have vaccines available to reduce the risk. There are no vaccines for viral meningitis, but fortunately viral meningitis is typically less serious than bacterial. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Length of meningitis contagiousness? How long is a person afflicted with meningitis contagious to others?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is it okay to have lower back pain after a tetanus or meningitis shot?
- How long is viral meningitis contagious?
- How long is bacterial meningitis contagious?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is it bad to workout the same day i got a bacterial meningitis vaccination?
- What is viral gastritis is it contagious?
- What causes ulcerative colitis is it contagious?
- How contagious is your herpes after having it for over a year?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online