Doctor insights on:
Will stomach acid dissolve a plastic ziplock type pouch? He accidentally swallowed the tiny plastic bag of candy that was meant to decorate a cookie.
Likely not: The bag is not that easily digested but a small one may well pass through without causing any obstruction. Need to take him to the ER if he starts vomiting and complains of severe abdominal cramps. ...Read more
Are fumes from melted plastic toxic? Someone left a glass container with plastic lid in the oven. The plastic mostly melted and stunk up the house.
Used metal fork to cook; didn't realise, but melted plastic ziplock bag. Still safe to eat food even if may be tiny bits of plastic?... Or throw?
Plastic: It is likely not harmful to eat the plastic but there is a possibility it could get stuck in your throat and have to be removed so I would start that dish again. All the best. ...Read more
Plastic food scrapper fell to bottom of dishwasher, burned in wash. Burnt plastic smell in dishwasher when I opened it - harmful to baby @27wks prego?
No: Congratulations on the coming blessed event.Get a more detailed answer ›
I accidentally ate a really small, tiny piece of tin foil with the food I cooked in the oven, will it be digested okay?
Unlikely to harm: A small piece of foil should pass through the stomach and intestines un digested. It is unlikely to cause any problems. See your doctor if you develop any symptoms. ...Read more
Ears pierced w/ piercing gun & sterile studs in a sealed box. Clamps that touched skin near site cleaned w/ water, alcohol solution. Could I get HIV?
Scenario: does not sound to be particularly risky. ...Read more
Ears pierced w/ a piercing gun & unused studs that came in a sterile sealed box. She wiped the gun with alcohol and water solution. Could I get HIV?
37 weeks pregnant and burnt a plastic cup in microwave. When I opened microwave, fumes poured out. I inhaled much of the fumes. Any risk to my baby?
No significant risk: Plastic fumes are not good for anyone but by 37 weeks your baby is almost fully developed and this should not have a significant effect. This would have been more worrisome in the first trimester (but even then would probably be OK unless you really inhaled a large amount). Don't worry. Hope your delivery goes smoothly! ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
I ate microwavable rice out of a melted plastic container once and my roommate said that was cancerous, am I okay?
You're fine: Just don't make a habit of it. Ick. ...Read more
Is it okay if i eat hummus that expired by 4 days? The hummus was refrigerated, opened, and scooped into a bowl when dipping.
I would think so: It is ok if it is refrigerated up to the time of consumption. ...Read more
Friend burnt noodles in dorm room micro 1 week ago, aired room, room smelled, still smells, can residual burnt plastic (not smoke) smell be harmful?
No: No, not if one keeps some fresh air flowing. It's just a an odor... To let a person know to clean the microwave oven and the room, and to let some fresh air in. ...Read more
I accidentaly swallowed a large piece of aluminum foil (AF). It was a coffee bottle seal, and thicker than regular kitchen AF. what should i do?
No to worry: This will get churned and crushed (but probably not torn) by the normal action of your GI tract Almost everything small enough to be swallowed can be handled effectively by this efficient system. You will probably find it exiting the other end in 20-40 hours depending upon the activity of your digestion. ...Read more
Ceiling tile removed and particles fell. Baby touched carpet underneath. Put hand mouth. What if she swallowed tiny amount of fiberglass?
Accidentally swallowed a small piece of aluminum foil while eating. I'm a breastfeeding mama. Will this hurt baby?
Foil: Nothing will happen.Get a more detailed answer ›
Is burnt toast carcinogenic? I overcooked it in toaster by about 2 minutes it wasn't very burnt but definitely tasted burnt.
NO: If you feel so worried next time throw that for the birds to feed on and make yourself another one. Suggest you lower the setting on your toaster. ...Read more
No need to be scared: Knowledge is power, so there is no need to be scared. Just read up, look up in the Google or talk to someone who knows a bit about Medicine. You are advised not to use plastic containers as the heat generated in a microwave can melt the plastic which is potentially harmful to your health. Yet there is no proof that it will cause cancer. So do not worry about the past, yet be smarter for the future ...Read more
Information: Probably not. I jammed finger is a blunt injury to one or mote joints. There will be pain and swelling that will gradually subside in a few days. Motion should not be forced beyon d the pint of discomfort. Be sure there is no fracture, or dislocation. This means you need to seek consultation. ...Read more
18w preg. & cooked pasta earlier,put pasta in plastic strainer & then back in the pot, strainer melted quite a bit, still ate pasta, did i hurt baby?
No: We live in a toxic world, so eating a meal out of a heat-deformed plastic container (such as microwaving a container of food) does not add a noticeable amount of toxins to the amount of toxins we experience on a normal daily basis. That being said, still try to avoid getting extra toxins. ...Read more
I ordered noodles. It came with a melted plastic lid touching the noodles. I ate it. Will I get cancer?
Not due to this: This one instance of melted plastic touching your food will not give you cancer. For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low fat milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Practice safe sex. ...Read more