Doctor insights on:
Medicine For Streptomycin Overdose
No direct treatment: If excessive amounts of streptomycin have been received, they will be excreted by the body and time will prevail. If they created toxic damage, primarily to the vestibular division of the acoustic (8th) nerve or to the kidneys, only part of the damage is reversible. ...Read more
You asked for it -: You got it. See: https://achenglab. Stanford. Edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Huth-AG-review. Pdf ...Read more
Ototoxic in all: Streptomycin can ototoxic in all ages of patients. It is specifically more vestibulotoxic, meaning that it disrupts balance more than hearing. There is evidence that patients with impaired renal function are more prone to toxic effects. Studies indicate that cochleotoxic effects of aminoglycosides are less common in neonates and children than adults. The exact reason for this is unknown. ...Read more
Effect on junction:
Streptomycin is one of the aminoglycosides which is a class of anitbiotics that affects the neuromuscular junction. This is the area involved in myasthenia gravis.
More specifically streptomycin can block the acetylcholine receptor and can also prevent the release of acetylcholine.
See more at: http://archive. Ispub. Com/journal/the-internet-journal-of-neurology/volume-10-number-2. ...Read more
Streptomycin is an aminoglycoside antibiotic given IV or im and used to treat tuberculosis and enterococcus.
Tetracycline is a bacteriostatic antibiotic still in common use today to treat many types of infections.
E.Coli are bacteria that are a normal part of the bacterial flora of all mammals including man. Shiga toxin producing e. Coli from cattle cause bloody diarrhea and hus. ...Read more
If you have viral: Infections - just treat it symptomatically.Get a more detailed answer ›
What do you suggest if my doctor won't give me streptomycin because he says it won't do anything. What do I do?
Why do you want streptomycine. It is an old Antibiotic not used these days in USA because of toxic effects on kidneys and hearing loss
It is still used in third world countries for Tubeculosis, Tularemia, plague and endocarditis. And it is given by injection
Your doctor is right and I suggest you fallow his/her advice ...Read more
TN: Some practitioners believe the combination gives more profound relief for tn. According to a study done at ucla the combination is no more effective than Lidocaine alone, and may exhibit more side effects. ...Read more
Toxic to hair cells: This antibiotic can become concentrated in the fluid of the inner ear. It causes a toxic reaction to the hair cells of the inner ear, at high levels it can kill off these hair cells with permanent hearing loss. Careful monitoring of levels of the antibiotic are necessary. There are better and less toxic antibiotics now in use. ...Read more
Treated with a tooth infection, for 2 weeks had an insert in tooth containing STREPTOMYCIN (at that time I was 8-9 wks pregnant)Risks to the fetus? THX
It could be very: Serious!! If you are having thoughts about killing yourself, get seen at the nearest emergency room now. Have a friend or relative drive you or call 911 for emergency services for transport. You can call the National suicide hotlines 24/7 at 1-800-suicide (1-800-784-2433) or 1-800-273 – talk (1-800-273-8255) for support. ...Read more
Long answer: There are a lot of reasons why overdose happens. There is an established set of dosages for medications based on the disease they are being used to treat for. When that dosage is exceeded, that is an overdose. Some overdoses do not harm a patient, but a harmful overdose can happen when the amount prescribed is exceeded. Different drugs have different effects when overdosed. ...Read more
Hopefully the: Person involved will receive emergency care. They will be monitored ; stablized. When possible, blood levels of the drugs overdosed on will be measured. If the person can't breath - a breathing tube may be used. They may have intravenous fluids. Sometimes the stomach is pumped and charcoal may be given. Depending on depth of wrist laceration depth- they may need to be sutured or even surgery. ...Read more
Depends...: It depends on what agent has been overdosed. Some patients will require observation but others will require ICU level care, perhaps even life support! Some overdosages are more dangerous than others do all overdoses need to be evaluated by a doctor to determine the care that is necessary. ...Read more
No: Homeopathic medicines are prepared in very dilute quantities, such that above the potencies of 12c or 24x, it's unlikely to find a molecule of the original substance from which the remedy was made. This is what some point to as the "nonsense" of homeopathy -- but dr. Hahnemann wrote of using a spiritual substance to deal with a spiritual, energetic aspect of the person (his or her healing system). ...Read more
Some are illicit: Methanol can cause blindness, and anti-tb drugs like Ethambutol & rifampin. Steroids can cause glaucoma, antimalarials like Hydroxychloroquine can damage the macula. Talc retinopathy can occur with intravenous drug use. Direct retinal toxicity can occur from injected gentamicin. The precautionary principle demands withdrawal of potentially toxic drugs once diminished visual function is documented. ...Read more
Drug rehab time: The question is too broad for a simple answer. How long has the abuser been abusing, why does he/she want to stop, what substances were used, and now often were they used. These are some of the? S that can predict in or out patient time, but the real, answer is: for the rest of your life! ...Read more
It depends on the: Specific type of medicine and the amount of the overdose. Are you considering taking an overdose? Are you considering suicide as an option? You can call the national suicide hotlines 24/7 at 1-800-suicide (1-800-784-2433) or 1-800-273 – talk (1-800-273-8255). For active suicide thoughts with a strong urge please be seen at your nearest er. Follow on psychological/ psychiatric care is important. ...Read more
Hypothyroid: You can become hypothyroid. This is usually not a major problem, and is easily rectified. More concerning would be adverse reaction to the meds. This could cause liver toxicity or blood disorders. ...Read more