Doctor insights on:
May Have Swallowed A Tiny Piece Of Glass
I might have swallowed a small piece of glass (about 2mm length by 1.5mmwidth by 1mm thick). What should I do?
Nothing: A sharp object like a needle or chicken bone that gets stuck in the esophagus needs to be retrieve by endoscopy due to the risk of perforation of the esophagus. If the piece of glass was truly only 2 mm x 1.5 mm it's not likely to get lodged in the esophageal wall due to its tiny size. It should pass out of your body with your stool. But it you develop pain must see Dr asap. ...Read more
So I think I may have swallowed some glass if I did the shards where very small what should I do and what should I watch for?
See a doctor: Hard to say if there would be a problem, but I would see a dr. asap. If you aspirated any of the fragments, I would definitely be seen promptly ...Read more
Might have swallowed a very tiny sized piece of glass the size of a piece if glitter should I worry? It's been since 7pm and its 8am now I seem ok now
Glass swallower : You should not worry. This is too small to cause blockage or bleeding. With an object that tiny, it is more risky to intervene to remove it. Likelihood, you will pass it in stool but may be too small to see. Eat plenty of fiber to bulk stool and drink plenty of fluids. These will promote regular bowel movements and passage. ...Read more
I swallowed a small piece of glass. My glass broke and i didn't notice it. Is it dangerous? And how long will it take to pass? It's a small piece
Monitor : Closely. It could cause issues talk to your doctor and monitor for complications ...Read more
It could tear: Tissue in your GI tract.Get a more detailed answer ›
I swallowed tiny pieces of glass but I flushed water but still I have doubt what would happen to me any damage in side can occur or will we die?
Glass is always a risk and generally if you swallow it, it should be retrieved if possible. It isn't easy to flush out with water because it is solid and has the potential to cut you. I am not sure exactly how large the pieces of glass are but I would try to get seen by a GI specialist as soon as possible. If you have any pain or see blood in your stool, go to the ER. ...Read more
Swallowed a little carbon based alloy glass/ceramic hdd platter piece it was very small, it's been 24 hours no pain. Should i be concerned or let pass?
I swallowed tiny pieces(like sand)of glass what would have to me any damage in side can occur ...or will we die or something or it can cause infection?
Most likely not.: Accidentally eating sand-grain-sized glass will most likely cause no trouble at all. Our GI system is amazingly able to handle all kinds of insults. Of course, watch out for abdominal pain, blood in the stool, and other new or concerning intestinal symptoms. If you get those, then head over to your Family Doc for more evaluation and treatment as necessary. ...Read more
Hello doctor I think I swallowed about half a centimeter or less of very tiny glass, should I go to doctor as soon as possible?
Hard to find: Less than .5 centimeter of sharp glass can still cause problems if it gets caught in the intestinal folds. Or not if it goes through unscathed. Your chance of having no issues with it is probably 60/40 at best, so be wary of any symptoms of sudden extreme abdominal pain, fever or bleeding then go to ER. Glass is not visible on xrays mostly, so the only way to "visualize" it is direct endoscopy. ...Read more
May have swallowed small chunks of broken glass mixed with ice at the bottom of my cup. Not sure. Ate bread. Should I go to er? No extreme pain yet
Usually not a proble:
Small pieces of glass are not likely to cause a problem. No need to go the emergency department to have stomach pumped.
Likely these pieces will pass through your intestinal tract without causing damage.
Unlikely signs of something more serious (go to er):
1. Severe abdominal pain
2. Vomiting up blood or coffee ground material.
3. Passing blood or black colored bowel movements. ...Read more
I'm sorry to hear: That you swallowed some glass, I assume inadvertently. If it has been more than a day, it's likely that the glass has exited your stomach and entered your intestine. Glass is difficult, if not impossible to spot on an X-ray. If the piece was smaller than an inch or so, it likely hasn't hung up, and as long as you feel well and don't have any bleeding, you're likely ok. Check with your doctor. ...Read more
Found broken glass that 18mo/o must have dropped. What if he swallowed a small shard glass? I wasn't in the room. His lip had a tiny cut. Nothing else
Probably ok: Chances are he did not swallow any, or at least he has no symptoms so it is inconsequential. You could always ask your doctor to order a xray as glass is visible on xray. ...Read more
What to do if i accidentally swallowed small pieces of glass? Or plastic? I think it came from my blender? Eat bread and drink water and milk?
Think i accidentally swallowed small pieces of either glass or plastic? What do I do? Eat bread ... Drink water and milk? Motrin? What would help?
Nothing. : Don't do anything. If symptoms such as bleeding or alarming symptoms develop go to the er. ...Read more
I swallowed tiny pieces(very small)of glass what would happen any damage in side can occur.if the small particles of glass remain in stomach it can cause any infection or will we die?
Take it easy:
The glass pieces will go out with your stool. Do not worry about it.
For good health — Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Drink enough water daily, so that your urine is mostly colorless. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form.
Practice safe sex, if you have sex.
Get HPV vaccine ...Read more
That depends: It if is rounded like safety glass, it may pass through you without difficult. However, if was a jagged shard of glass then it could become lodged against tissue & cause damage. If this is the case then please go to your nearest emergency room for evaluation. Take care. ...Read more
Might have accidentally swallowed broken glass that was cooked into food about 12 hours ago. Not sure. No significant pain.
My 11 months old daughter might have swallowed a piece of glass. I am not sure. What are the signs if you do?
INGESTIONS: Check inside mouth with good light whether you see anything, any bleeding, watch for any distress in the child. Strain and watch stool for blood and the suspected object. Abdominal x-ray doesn't show glass. Give blend diet with more fiber, fluid. Most importantly: make the house child proof, remove all small objects, ingestables, meds, from floor, bed, couches etc. To prevent further happening. ...Read more
Swallowed object: If there is no reason to believe your child may have aspirated this object into the lungs and the object is smooth there should not be a problem. Watch for any difficultly swallowing food or water. Once it passes the esophagus it should pass out with the stool in a couple of days. Glass will not show up on an x-ray. If coughing or wheezing take him/her to the ER. ...Read more
Matthew swallow a flat, glass, oval-shaped marble. It is maximum 2.5cm in diameter and 0.5cm thick.
Can it come out or do we need an intervention?
Pediatrics : In all likelihood, Matthew will easily pass the marble within the next few days. Try to check for it in his bowel movements. Encourage eating of bananas, apple sauce, apple juice, prunes, other high-fiber foods & keep him well-hydrated. Make sure those remaining marbles are out of reach...call your doctor if he starts complaining of pain or blood in stool. ...Read more
What do I do if my child swallows little pieces o hard plastic? It's almost like glass but not...
Is it a problem if I possibly swallowed a time shard of glass I don't remember clearly because I was drinking?
Explanation : Yes, it's a problem if you really swallow the peace of glass. It may be pain and possible partial obstruction or even injury of gut. And may be nothing if peace of very small. It may go through successfully. Need to see a doctor immediately with any pain within 48 hours ...Read more
Go to the ER: Take the 8-year old to the ER ...Read more
See your MD: Most likely you may be ok. But have your md evaluate you for potential lung or stomach issues as these glass particles can cause problems such is lung infections, bleeding in the gastrointesitnal tract. ...Read more
I am 20. Female. I have trouble swallowing pills. Any size. Even when taken with a full glass of water, it feels stuck. What could be wrong?
Accidentally swallowed a few chunks of glass approximately 21 hours ago. Ate bread right after. No extreme pain. Still, major cause for concern?
Should be OK: If it was 21 hours ago- odds are everything should be fine as the glass has passed through your stomach. Now simply watch for pain and any blood in your stools. Also, drink plenty of fluids to keep things moving through as quickly as possible. If you have severe bloating, any bleeding in your stools- you should give your physician a call. ...Read more
I may have swallowed some bit of glass. What should I do? I have no symptoms. Will this affect!y heart?
Xray: Glass can be seen on X-ray if the piece is big enough (at least 2 mm). If the piece is sharp it may get stuck in the GI tract (esophagus, stomach, intestines) or it may pass through. It may also puncture the GI tract and cause pain, bleeding, vomiting. Initial action should probably be see your doctor and get X-ray if he or she recommends it. ...Read more