Doctor insights on:
Not always the same!: Mastoiditis is usually caused by an "untreated" middle ear infection. Treatment is primarily with antibiotics and/or surgery. Conventional oral antibiotics for middle ear infection usually prevents complications and spread of infection in mastoiditis. In the US, mastoiditis treatment is usually with IV antibiotics. If more severe-surgery is indicated with an ENT physician. ...Read more
Yes, for sure.: It is fairly common in children. Usually it can be treated with just a tube in the eardrum, but sometimes needs a bigger operation to drain the infection. Beware of doctors overcalling "mastoiditis" on ct or MRI scans, when all they are seeing is fluid in the mastoid. This is seen with any ear infection for a while afterwards. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Mastoiditis: If left untreated, true suppurative acute mastoiditis, could lead to extracranial ( facial paralysis, labyrinthitis, petrositis, subperiosteal abscess) and/or intracranial (meningitis, brain abscess, extradural abscess, subdural abscess) complications. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
My CT head scan report from 2yrs ago said I have bilateral chronic mastoiditis.I'm 19 now. What's that?What r the symptoms?Can it be treated or cured?
Many symptoms: Symptoms include fever, irritability,and lethargy,swelling of ear lobe,redness,tenderness and pain behind the ear, drainage from ear.Inner ear infections.Chronic mastoiditis is treated with oral antibiotics, eardrops, and regular ear cleanings by a doctor. If these do not work, surgery may be necessary to prevent further complication.Mastoid cell underdevelopment may mimic mastoid disease. ...Read more
Look to the ear: Acute mastoiditis has fever, ear pain, tenderness behind the ear, and the ear may even stick out more than it normally does. Chronic mastoiditis shows with drainage which persists despite common treatments. See your ear doctor for chronic but get immediate care for an acute case as it may need urgent surgery. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is mastoiditis treated with the same antibiotics as ear infections?
- How long does it take for stomach ulcers to heal if treated?
- When being treated for bacterial vaginosis can you still have intercourse
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- If treated by antibiotics how long until uti goes away
- Will i get my period back after anorexia is treated
- Once you have been treated for hyperthyroidism can you drink alcohol
- Will hair grow back after hypothyroidism is treated
- Talk to a head and neck surgeon online for free