Doctor insights on:
Machines Name Heart Transplant
Heart lung machine: The heart lung machine, also known as pump oxygenator, receives blood returning to the heart, adds oxygen to it, and then pumps the blood into the patient's aorta. The lungs and heart are bypassed. There is also a machine called an organ care system which keeps the donor heart beating until it is transplanted. That machine was first used in 2006. Otherwise the heart is cooled before transplant. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
In medicine: a transfer from one body or body part to another of an organ (liver, heart, lung, kidney, pancreas bowel) or tissue (hand, face, hair). The immune system fights foreign invaders (like infections) so it will reject transplants from other people (allotransplants) because they look like infections. So transplants usually require drugs to ...Read more
If someone gets a heart transplant, is it true that they can develop the old heart-owner's characteristics?
No but:: Certain food allergies have been transferred from donor to recipient (e.g. Peanut allergy). This is thought to be due to cells responsible for the allergic reaction (mast cells) being transplanted as passenger cells along with the transplanted organ. But on the whole, no. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Wrong ? to ask: With such a severe shortage of organs, there will always be many deserving patients for each organ. It's impossible to only choose the best candidate for each transplant. Fairness is built into the system by having transparency, an openly agreed upon set of policies that are strictly followed and are often revised, and requiring each txp center to define their own rules. This is done through unos. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the average life expectancy for heart transplant patients?
- Advantages and disadvantages of heart transplants
- Heart transplant
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is the name of the machine that bends your knee for physical therapy?
- What are some of the benefits of a human heart transplant?
- What are the benefits of artificial heart transplants?
- What state has shortest wait list for heart transplants?
- Talk to a cardiologist online