Doctor insights on:
Long Term Protonix
Due to GERD I am on long term maint. Of protonix 40mg/day. Does long term use of protonix or other ppi's increase risk of gastrointestinal cancers?
I had a negative endoscopy done, but are there any risks or side effects of being on protonix long term?
Protonix S.E.'s: Protonix (pantoprazole) is a very well tolerated medication, but in the short term it and other proton pump inhibitors can cause a number of dose-dependent side effects including commonly headache and diarrhea. Longer term use carries other consequences (please see my earlier answer on this topic in healthtap) including bone thinning ; risk of infection (like c.Difficile). ...Read more
PPI side effects: Prevacid, protonix, Prilosec (& their generic equivalents) are similar, very well tolerated medications called proton pump inhibitors. In the short term they can cause a number of dose-dependent side effects including commonly headache and diarhea. Longer term use carries other consequences (please see my earlier answer on this topic in healthtap)--like bone thinning, low magnesium, c.Difficile. ...Read more
I'm on Singulair, Protonix, & VoltarenXR, can the sodium in these products affect Blood Pressure? Concerned about the long term use, especially NSAID
As needed: It should be taken as long as needed and at the lowest dose possible. That being said patients with barrwtt's esophagus should remain on it. I would discuss with a md before using any ppi for greater than 3 months. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are there any long term effects to taking zyrtec everyday?
- What are the long term effects of taking miralax?
- Long term effects of mono
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are there any long term side effects of staph infections?
- Long term effects of pseudoephedrine
- Benadryl side effects of long term use
- Scarlet fever long term side effects
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online