Doctor insights on:
Long Term Effects Of Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D: There are side effects of low vitamin D deficiency and that may increase your risk of osteoporosis that would put you in jeopardy for minimal trauma fracture. See your doctor, get a bone density test, and start taking vitamin D - either 1000 or 2000 daily. The bone density result will tell you if you do or do not have low bone mass and increased risk of fracture. ...Read more
Yes: Long term vitamin d deficiency in adults can lead to osteomalacia (bone softening) and osteoporosis (bone density loss, causing easy fracturing). Other symptoms of a deficiency of vitamin d are muscle pains, muscle weakness, and aches in the bones. In children, prolonged vitamin d deficiency causes rickets (bony deformities). ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Depends!: Vitamin d repletion takes longer when you have more body fat, since it is a lipid soluble vitamin, and your general size, independent of leaness. Usually on your dose you should see a significant rise in 4-6 weeks, but not knowing how low you were and if you are overweight, it may be from 3-9mo before you d is adequate! key factors: size; how low you were; and degree of obesity! ...Read more
3 months.: You will have to keep taking a small dose on a regular basis after the levels reach normal. ...Read more
Hard question: Because a person may be getting varying amounts of vitamin d from the sun , how long it takes to build up or deplete will vary. That being said, vitamin d from food or supplements have a half-life of 20-30 days, therefore a month should be plenty of time to build up in the system. Thank you. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the signs and symptoms of long term vitamin d deficiency?
- Long term effects of iron deficiency
- Long term effects of b12 deficiency
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long it takes to cure vitamin d deficiency?
- Side effects of vitamin d deficiency in women
- What are the side effects of a vitamin d deficiency?
- What are the effects of a vitamin d deficiency on teeth?
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free