Doctor insights on:
Long Term Effects Of Poison Ivy
Yes: Occasionally, people who have reacted to poison oak will begin to have allergic reactions to fruits in the same plant family. Poison oak, poison ivy, mango, cashew, and pistachio all belong to the plant family "anacardiaceae". A reaction to poison oak can lead to future reactions to mangoes. So, it is best to avoid poison oak and poison ivy, even if one has never suffered a reaction previously. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze . . . are all ...Read more
Poison ivy: Signs and symptoms of a poison ivy rash include: redness, itching, swelling, blisters, often, the rash looks like a straight line because of the way the plant brushes against the skin. But if you come into contact with a piece of clothing or pet fur that has urushiol on it, the rash may be more spread out. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
It is not contagious: I agree w dr. Chiu. Urushiol (offending chemical in poison ivy) remains potent for over a year. So it is imperattive that you wash any tools, clothes, boots, etc that have been in contact with ivy. Wash skin asap. There are specific products that you can buy that will wash the urushiol off very effectively. You can also use rubbing alcohol to remove the urushiol. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
What happens if you were to breathe poison ivy smoke, how long would the symptoms take to show. Would it be hours?
Lung irritation: Burning poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac releases an oil, urushiol, when the leaf or other plant parts are bruised, damaged. It can be very dangerous because the allergens can be inhaled, causing lung irritation. It can cause adult respiratory distress syndrome that can result in death. There are special respirators for workers that may be exposed (e.g. Fire fighters). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Usually a week or so: For most cases, the rash should subside within a couple of weeks provided there is no further contact. Topical steroid hastens the recovery. The most important step would be washing all objects which might have touched the ivy with laundry detergent . Else the ivy resin will keep on causing problems for many months to come. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Posion ivy : Poison ivy symptoms normally begin 12-48 hours after contact with the plant oils and can last 2-3 weeks! Often the rash gets worse before it gets better. If the rash persists beyond 2-3 weeks or you develop oozing blisters, pus or fever see a Dr as the skin may have become infected requiring antibiotics. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are there any long term effects of poison ivy exposure?
- Poison ivy effects
- Poison ivy side effects
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long is poison ivy contagious?
- Poison ivy shot side effects
- How long does poison ivy last on skin?
- How long does poison ivy spread?
- Talk to a dermatologist online