Doctor insights on:
Long Term Effects Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning To The Kidneys
Likely none: Carbon monoxide acts by keeping red blood cells from picking up oxygen so it hurts you by starving the body for oxygen. Once the co separates off the red cell it starts working again and theprocess stops. It the lack of oxygen was severe enough to cause damage to parts of the body it will take time for that to be repaired, but otherwise there shouldn't be long-term problems. ...Read more
The kidneys are paired organs that lie on either side of the vertebral column. Part of their critical functions include the excretion of urine and removal of nitrogenous wastes products from the blood. They regulate acid-base, electrolyte, fluid balance and blood pressure. Through hormonal signals, the kidneys control the ...Read more
Depends: We are all exposed to this on occasion. The material that attaches to our blood from low level exposure will cause vague symptoms but no permanent damage & will eventually be eliminated. When it does reach the level that causes death to brain cells or heart muscle it can cause irreversible damage to both. If sustained, the gas replaces so much oxygen that the body dies of lack of oxygen. ...Read more
Typically not: While this is possible, proper ventilation and maintenance should prevent carbon monoxide from forming and building up. A home carbon monoxide detector can help make sure you are not in danger. ...Read more
Not long: Carbon monoxide has a high affinity to the hemoglobin molecule, not allowing the oxygen molecules to bind. Exactly how long before one gets carbon monoxide poisoning depends on many factors including the health of the individual exposed and the concentration of the carbon monoxide. Avoid exposure by never burning anything inside a house (bbq, etc.). ...Read more
Depends: The duration of symptoms depends on the concentration of carbon monoxide in the blood stream, the duration of exposure and how quickly you are removed from the carbon monoxide environment. ...Read more
Depends on severity: Mild or moderate symptoms can last from less than an hour to many hours, depending on the severity of the carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, the type of treatment, the victim's other health issues, etc... Studies show the half-life of carboxyhemoglobin (CO bound to hemoglobin) to be about 4 hours (3-5 hr) when breathing regular air, and about 1 hour (30-90 minutes) when breathing 100% oxygen. ...Read more
Depends on dose: The long term effects of co poisoning depend on the dose and duration of exposure. Exposure to small doses at the lower limits of toxicity (35 parts per million for 8 hours) may cause only mild symptoms while higher doses (> 200 ppm) may have long term consequences. See this page for more details: http://biology. About. Com/od/molecularbiology/a/carbon_monoxide. Htm. ...Read more
Exposure: Carbon monoxide has a stronger affinity (bonding) to the red cells hemoglobin molecule than oxygen, so the presence of increased levels of carbon monoxide in air can gradually displace the oxygen. As it circulates in the blood, the hemoglobin is not carrying useful oxygen, so the cells starve and the poisoning occurs. Cell death can occur if oxygen does not return in time. ...Read more
Lack of oxygen: It is the lack of usuable oxygen to your tissues. The hemoglobin in your red blood cells bind the carbon monoxide but it sticks so strongly that it cannot get unloaded in the tissues where it's needed. Your organs then go into anaerobic (without oxygen) metabolism and the waste product is lactic acid. This as well adds to the vomiting. ...Read more
Carboxyhemaglobin: A simple blood test, carboxyhemaglobin, give a precise measure of how much carbon monoxide is in the blood. ...Read more
CO poisoning: Carbon monoxide (co) poisoning is a serious problem with acute and long-term complications. If there any suspicion that you may have co poisoning you need to get to a hospital immediately and get the proper treatment. Do not waste time with home "remedies" because time is off the essence. Of course getting out and away from the source of co to get fresh air (oxygen) is the immediate best response. ...Read more
Maybe: Gas stoves could be faulty. Get your home checked for carbon monoxide levels. Detectors are available at numerous hardware stores, and by most codes, should be present in homes. Your utility company could also check the situation. ...Read more
Carbon monoxide: Speak to your supervisor. Testing for the environment for carbon monoxide levels is relatively simple and could be affecting other. Carbon monoxide detectors can be installed for future monitoring. ...Read more
Yes: Low level carbon monoxide exposure can cause headaches and nausea, higher levels can result in cherry red coloring of fingertips and nail beds. Later, confusion and disorientation. ...Read more
Carb monoxide: Oil burning leaves much more cm than gaz is it does not burn as totally as gaz. ...Read more
No: It is an odorless gas you inhale. ...Read more
Both: Yes.Get a more detailed answer ›
Depends: Unlikely in an electric stove. Household appliances, such as gas fires, boilers, central heating systems, water heaters, cookers and open fires which use gas, oil, coal and wood may be possible sources of carbon monoxide gas. It happens when the fuel does not burn fully. Hope this helps. ...Read more
If you are dizzy from carbon monoxide poisoning, do you still have time to get out before you pass out?
Yes: In general, dizziness is achieved with several hours of low dose exposure -- such as 35 parts per million. Nausea and convulsions along with dizziness will be seen in <1 hour of 800 parts per million exposure. So, the symptoms vary based on amount of exposure and time duration of the exposure. ...Read more
I had carbon monoxide poisoning and I am wondering if I still have it and should I go to a doctor, I still have a lot of the same symptoms I had?
Get carbon monoxide: It normally clears with therapy in 4 hours and you should have no symptoms unless you r getting exposed at home get your exhaust system checked. ...Read more
Yes.: The burning of both traditional incense and the drug of abuse "herbal-incense"creates carbon monoxide. A significant dose of carbon monoxide in an unventilated space, especially in a susceptible individual can lead to co poisoning. Please be responsible and safe. ...Read more
Consult your doctor: I would recommend discussing this with your doctor or a neurologist. Carbon monoxide poisoning may cause damage to specific areas in the brain and may be diagnosed with a head ct or preferably a brain mri. A radiologic study, however, does not replace appropriate medical consultation and evaluation. ...Read more
CO poisoning: A simple blood test can give you the answer. ...Read more
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze. . . are all ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- How long do the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning take to go away?
- Long term effects of salmonella poisoning
- Are there natural ways to treat carbon monoxide poisoning?
- What are the best home remedies for carbon monoxide poisoning?
- Kidney stones long term effects
- Long term effects of alcohol on the kidneys
- How long to die from carbon monoxide?
- How long does carbon monoxide poisoning stay bound to hemoglobin?