Doctor insights on:
Lifepak 10 Batteries
Found an old gameboy (10+ years) that the batteries had exploded in. Is old battery acid still extremely dangerous if it is on my skin? Washed hands.
You're ok: The danger from exposure to battery acid is an immediate chemical burn. If you didn't burn yourself and you have already washed your hands with a lot of water then you're ok. Soap or vinegar are basic and neutralize the acid but the important thing is to wash as quickly as possible with a lot of water. Just don't touch it again. And don't pour water on it, you can spread the acid. Scrape it off. ...Read more
Seek medical care.: A disk battery? There have been no reported cases of mercury poisoning from ingesting disc batteries. However, you do need to be medically evaluated and you need psychiatric or psychological treatment. Eating batteries is not a normal behavior. ...Read more
ER: If he has any pain or new symptoms, bring to er immediately. ...Read more
Studies say no: A properly used toothbrush will perform equally good as an electric brush. That being said, an electric toothbrush aimed properly is likely easier to use for some patients, especially those with dexterity problems. A good three minute brush, 2-3 times a day, that covers all of the tooth surfaces and the gums is sufficient. There is no magic in an electric toothbrush, it is about aiming properl. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
X-ray: An x-ray would be able to tell you. ...Read more
Very bad effect: Battery acid poisoning; hydrogen sulfate poisoning; oil of vitriol poisoning; matting acid poisoning; vitriol brown oil poisoning sulfuric acid is a very strong chemical that is corrosive. Corrosive means it can cause severe burns and tissue damage when it comes into contact with the skin or mucous membranes. ...Read more
Probably not, but: I use them anyway. It feels like i'm getting a closer shave. Yes, i know that's not a scientific answer, but in general we do or choose things that make us feel better; doctors are not much different when it comes to their own habits and cares. ...Read more
Poison control: Call poison control center for advices.Get a more detailed answer ›
Irrigate with water: This is an acid burn. Run it under water such as in the shower, for at least 10 minutes. It can cause a serious burn so see a doctor if it is still painful. ...Read more
NOoooooooooooooooooo: Batteries are toxic. Eating a battery may make you ill but it would never give you energy. Don't eat batteries. ...Read more
I was opening a remote to change the batteries and battery acid got on my skin. Should I be concerned?
Battery acid: Battery acid is often super-concentrated and can have a pH of 2.0 or lower, so it's critical to use a copious amount of water to flush the affected burn region and dilute the chemical reactivity of the acid. Use plenty of water. If you spritz just a small amount of water on the burn, that can actually make the situation worse by spreading the acid around without reducing its potency. Doc if needed. ...Read more
I'm a very busy guy, I only sleep 4hrs a day...Can I do any thing to help me continue the day on such low batteries?
Reality Check: Why are you a very busy guy? It is usually by choice. Insight into why you are very busy, making choices that are necessary vs optional & lifestyle choices are important. The body needs what the body needs and the brain needs rest. 4 hours is not enough for most people. 7-8 hours is optimum. See what happens to low batteries, they run out, die & leak gooey stuff on everything around. Stop it! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I accidentally inhaled some of the white powder that comes out of batteries!What is that white powder and what could happen to me?
Call poison control: For a reliable answer: The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions. ...Read more
So then what would happen if your child ingested a button battery and it wasn't witnessed. How soon would you most likely see symptoms? Scares me!
Don't wait: Onset of symptoms can vary by battery type/size. If likelihood is high that battery was ingested then er for x-ray is advised. ...Read more