Doctor insights on:
Lead Pencil Poisoning
Yes: Pencil lead is actually a non toxic material called graphite. Unpainted pencils only a problem if baby bites off chunks and chokes on them. I don't believe that the paint on pencils is a problem if they are made in the us. I have reservations for any painted material coming out of china as they may have toxic material in the paint. ...Read more
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze. . . are all ...Read more
No: No, mostly because the 'lead' in a pencil is not the metal, but graphite, which may leave a stain but does not poison. ...Read more
No: Pencil lead is actually a non toxic material called graphite. ...Read more
Graphite: The "lead " in pencils is not lead, the metal. It is graphite. There is nothing toxic about graphite. ...Read more
No: There is not enough lead in a pencil point to cause poisoning. ...Read more
No: The pencil tip is composed of graphite, a non toxic substance. You might get an infection if you don't care for the wound, but you cannot get lead poisoning. ...Read more
No: Pencil "lead" is actually graphite, not really lead, so you will not get lead poisoning. If you have a solid piece in you foot then it should be removed (like a splinter). If you don't actually have a solid piece of graphite under the skin, but the the tiny remnants, then I would treat it the same as any other wound caused by a splinter. ...Read more
Unlikely: If she only put it in her mouth briefly and did not eat the pencil lead and has not done this before on several occasions it is unlikely that she will have lead poisoning from this one time. But if you are concerned and unsure about how much past exposure she may have had she can have a blood test for lead level by her doctor. ...Read more
What to do if I got a piece of pencil thing in my eye when my pencil snapped, can I get lead poisoning?
No: Pencil lead is actually a non toxic material called graphite. It has no potential to cause lead poisoning. Your primary risk would be infection from the wound. ...Read more
Many possibilities.: Lead was used as an additive to paints used in home building years ago & the inhalation of paint dust during renovations, or kids chewing on cribs painted with lead paint provided some. Exposure to clothes of someone working in around lead (battery reclamation) or that from lead paint on decorative dishes were also common. Removal of lead from many of these products has reduced public risk. ...Read more
Lead in environment: Sources of lead include old paint (babies chewing on windowsills); soil near a highway; pottery with lead based glaze (usually imported); and some toys have been found to have lead based paint (again- imported. Lead based paint is no longer used in the US. ...Read more
Not a matter for:
Self treatment. Lead poisoning may require chelation therapy, please consult your doctor. For more information on prevention, symptoms etc see this site.
http://www. Nlm. Nih. Gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002473.htm. ...Read more
See a specialist: The first thing to do is to make sure that you find the source of the lead so that you can stop the exposure. Next you need to see a doctor that knows how to treat this kind of condition. It may just take watchful waiting or you may need to go through a treatment called chelation. ...Read more
Lead is an environmental toxin and measurements of high levels in the bloodstream require treatment. Avoiding the source of lead, having your home and water supply inspected for possibly sources may be completed by the health department.
Please check with your doctor for treatment recommendations based on the level in your bloodstream. I hope this helps. ...Read more
Blood test: Lead poisoning has a very long list of possible symptoms and can be confused with other illnesses. If you have had a history of chronic lead exposure, or are concerned, just have a simple blood test done. ...Read more
Sometimes none: Kids don't always have symptoms. This is why we screen kids for lead. Symptoms can be vague like not growing or developing as much, irritable, lethargic, stomach pain/diarrhea/vomiting. Adults can also have vague symptoms like: fatigue, forgetful, numbness/tingling, anemia, kidney problems, digestion problems [belly pain/nausea/vomiting/diarrhea]. ...Read more
Blood level: Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and mental changes. A complete blood count will show anemia. A blood level will determine if there is a poisoning which can be treated by chelation therapy which over time will bind up the lead. Lead poisoning is the most common heavy metal toxin. It can come from ingestion of lead paint, water from lead pipes and leaded gasoline. ...Read more
Hard to say: If you work in an industry that recycles lead acid batteries, or have similar lead exposure, it may be an issue. Most passive lead exposure in the average life is insignificant. Simple blood tests can yield evidence of lead exposure. The newest guidelines for lead exposure trigger investigations at very low levels, while symptomatic lead toxicity is uncommon ...Read more
Old pAint/Ocupation: In the us, the major risk to children is from lead-based paints and soil and dust contaminated with lead-based paint. Also lead jewelry, toys, and other lead items. For adults, the primary source of lead exposure is occupational (such as scraping off old lead paint, smelters, battery manufacturing, and radiator repair) rather than ingestion, Ayurvedic home remedies contamination. ...Read more
Progressive disorder: Lead accumulates in tissues like nerve cells, bone etc. It interferes with the metabolic pathways of the body in a gradual and progressive way. At very low levels it may do nothing but if you have increased levels, the source needs to be identified & stopped before you acquire enough to develope brain toxicity, damage or death. Lead can be removed but rx should include eliminating the source. ...Read more
It depends.: This depends on how much exposure to lead there was. Damage/effects to kidneys and blood are reversible, but effects on the central nervous system are not. If a person has lead encephalopathy when chelation therapy is started, permanent brain damage, like cerebral palsey is a frequent consequence. Cancer, stroke, heart disease, hypertension, psychiatric effects, and shorter life span also occur. ...Read more
Blood test: Elevated lead levels can be detected by a blood test. As a pediatrician, I normally check at risk children at 9 months (when they start crawling) and at 2 years of age; this is done at their check-ups. Lead poisoning can lead to severe neurological problems, so if you suspect a problem, check with your doctor asap. ...Read more
No unless done often: Soldering is where solder is melted by a hot iron and allowed to cool, thus joining 2 pieces of metal, etc. If this is done rarely, like once in a while, it likely won't cause any side effects, even with lead, but if done often, it might cause lead poisoning as the process might cause some of the lead to be melted, if hot enough. Still, lead has a very high melting point, so it must be very hot. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- Is pencil lead poisonous?
- Is it safe to eat pencil lead?
- Can you get lead poisoning from a pencil if your child accidently pricked himself?
- Ill effects of eating pencil lead
- Will eating slate pencil lead to cancer
- Antidote for lead poisoning
- Lead poisoning rash
- Lead poisoning bow leg
- Pencil lead in the arm