Doctor insights on:
Fenugreek: There have been a number of herbs, spices and foods used traditionally to stimulate milk production, including asparagus, milk thistle, brewer's yeast, and alfalfa. But fenugreek is probably the most used and has the best evidence supporting it. Working with a lactation consultant is my favorite way to increase milk supply. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Yes, but why?: Men have all the necessary plumbing for lactation and, under certain pathologic conditions, will lactate (the medical term is galactorhea). However, it is not physiologically normal for men to do this but is most often a symptom of something out of whack hormonally. If this is you, see your doc for evaluation. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Can a high lactate level cause any sort of pain? Is a lactate level of 4.1 of any particular concern?
4.1 is normal: Normal lactic acid ranges from 4.5 to 19.8 mg/dL (0.5-2.2 mmol/L) (lab values vary among diff. labs) Lactic acid levels get higher with strenuous exercise and can cause muscle pain. Other conditions can cause elevated LA —such as heart failure, a severe infection (sepsis), or shock—lower the flow of blood and oxygen throughout the body or when the liver is severely damaged or diseased. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
To make breast milk: Lactation is the act of making breast milk. The chemical lactate is lactic acid, a product of glucose metabolism. If there are abnormalities of the kidney or the metabolism of glucose, Lactic Acid may be high. Don't confuse lactate with lactose, which is the sugar found in milk that causes gas and cramps in people who can't digest it. ...Read more
Lactated Ringers: Lactated Ringer's is a solution that is given IV for fluid and electrolyte replenishment . ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does it mean when you lactate and not pregnant?
- How to start lactating without being pregnant?
- Do women lactate when not pregnant?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are reasons why women lactate when they aren t pregnant?
- Calcium carbonate vs calcium lactate
- I quit breastfeeding 6 months ago and suddenly lactating again
- Lactating when not pregnant
- Can a womans breast lactate without being pregnant?