Doctor insights on:
Clinical assessment.: There's no laboratory test to diagnose kleptomania. Instead, it is diagnosed based on ur signs & symptoms. It is a type of impulse control disorder. In addition to asking qs about ur impulses & how they make u feel, ur dr. May review a list of situations to see if they trigger kleptomania episodes & have u fill out psychological questionnaires. Diagnostic criteria is spelled out in dsm4. ...Read more
Kleptomania: Kleptomania is is an irresistible urge to steal items of trivial value. Causes are unknown for this complex disorder, head injury may precipitate symptoms however most cases stem from a history of poor parenting, relationship conflicts, or acute stressors—abrupt occurrences that cause stress. There may be associated personality disorder or mood disorder that can be treated. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes.: Arrest and imprisonment can be "complications" of kleptomania. Although the individual with kleptomania may feel compelled to act on their impulse, they know it is wrong/illegal and while the legal system may take the condition into account, they often do not. ...Read more
Kleptomania: There is no known medical cause of kleptomania. It is a psychiatric disorder categorized among the impulse control disorders. The release of dopamine, the reward neurotransmitter, gives a "high", when people steal and/or engage in other risky behaviors such as gambling. There might be some genetic component involved. Brain injury may sometimes suspected as a possible trigger for kleptomania. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can kleptomania be passed down genetically?
- Genetically programmed theory of ageing
- Can an abdominal ct genetically damage my eggs?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How is progeria genetically transferred from parent to offspring?
- Is there a link between bulimia and kleptomania?
- Genetically transmitted diseases list
- Talk to an addiction specialist online for free