Doctor insights on:
Is Wearing Sunglasses Healthy Or Unhealthy For Your Eyes
Usually healthy: Make sure that the sunglasses block uv rays. They will usually say "blocks uva/uvb" on the side. There were some problems with sunglasses that blocked visible light well, allowing the pupil to dilate, but they did not block uv (ultraviolet rays) well, so they let even more uv rays in than wearing no sunglasses. Most modern or quality sunglasses block uv rays well. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
No: Welding produces high intensity uv irradiation which can cause terrific burns of the cornea (a sort of advanced sunburn). There are plenty of special lenses to protect the eyes during welding but polarized or any other type of ordinary sunglasses will not provide enough blockage to protect the eyes. Your welding supply store can supply the correct lenses and they should be present at work. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Take breaks: Computers, electronic gizmos, and screen-staring can be such a huge part of our lives now. Best way to protect your eyes (and neck, shoulders, back, wrists...Really, all over): be sure to take breaks every 30 minutes. Do something different. Get up and get moving. Good luck! ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
As far as getting sunlight to fight off SAD, is it obtained through our eyes or skin? If eyes, would we benefit more by NOT wearing sunglasses?
Through your eyes: Light boxes mean to replace natural sunlight exposure which when is missing or decreased it's felt to be contributing to SAD. What's damaging to the eyes are the UV rays, so chose a box that filters UV or it emits the minimum amount. Also it helps if you wear UV filtering eye glasses. ...Read more
Dry eyes?: Burning is typically a sign of dry eyes. Could it be that your eyes are burning because you are outdoors, rather than because you are wearing sunglasses? It is not uncommon to have dry eye symptoms when it is windy, or when you are driving. You can try otc artificial tears to see if it helps. ...Read more
No.Feel free to: Wear them...Even indoors.Get a more detailed answer ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What color sunglasses lenses are good or bad for your eyes?
- Is wearing glasses bad for your eyes?
- Is it normal for your nipples to hurt after not wearing a bra for just one day?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is it good to put milk in your eyes if you have red eye or pink eye?
- Is it healthy for men or women to masterbate daily?
- Is wearing white or black clothing better for sun protection?
- Does wearing sunglasses make your eyes sensitive to sunlight?
- Talk to a ophthalmologist online for free