Doctor insights on:
Is Wearing Sunglasses Healthy Or Unhealthy For Your Eyes
Usually healthy: Make sure that the sunglasses block uv rays. They will usually say "blocks uva/uvb" on the side. There were some problems with sunglasses that blocked visible light well, allowing the pupil to dilate, but they did not block uv (ultraviolet rays) well, so they let even more uv rays in than wearing no sunglasses. Most modern or quality sunglasses block uv rays well. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Not especially: Sunglasses are useful for blocking out harmful uv rays and excess light. Polarizing blockers can allow for more clear vision in special circumstances such as light reflecting from water or snow or some atmospheric phenomena. This allows for clearer vision in these circumstances but does not provide extra eye protection. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
UV filtration: Sunglasses lower the total amount of light to the eye and should also block uv light. Most will do this and any good optical shop with have such eyeglasses. Grey lenses are good and maintain normal color perception. Brown lenses cut through haze better but distort the color balance making red objects harder to distinguish. Discuss this with your optician. ...Read more
Brown or grey: To block the uv light most effectively, sunglasses of brown or grey are the best. These always have incorporated in them uv blockage. Other colors are mostly cosmetic and a few for special circumstances. None are bad for the eyes although some are not effective. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Time: Your eyes will adjust for bright sunlight with time but sunglasses will make you more comfortable and protect your eyes from uv rays. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Will wearing sunglasses make your eyes more sensitive to the sun
- Does wearing polarized sunglasses protect your eyes from welding?
- Does wearing sunglasses make your eyes sensitive to sunlight?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Best sunglasses for your eyes
- Will wearing sunglasses change your nose shape
- Is wearing glasses bad for your eyes?
- Downside to wearing sunglasses
- Talk to a ophthalmologist online for free