Doctor insights on:
Is There Natural Form Of Antabuse
No: One other medicine, Flagyl (metronidazole), used for vaginal infections and other parasitic infections, has antabuse-like actions, so if people drink on it, they get nauseated. Some people of asian background naturally do not make enough of an enzyme that metabolizes alcohol (which is blocked by antabuse) so they get some of the same symptoms- - flushing, nausea, headache, dizziness. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
RIsk of Relapse?: One needs to be always concerned by the possibility of relapse, i.e. Restarting drinking alcoholic beverages. This question needs to be shared with your physician and counsellor (drug and alcohol, psychologist, minister). Medications such as antabuse, or the new monthly injection vivitrol, are only part of one's important options to stay well. Finding a compatible support group has helped many! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
See below: Disulfiram is approved as a treatment for alcohol dependence. It works by interfering with the breakdown of alcohol leading to an accumulation of acetaldehyde which causes nausea and flushing. It also seems to slow metabolism of Dopamine which has led to its having a small role in Cocaine dependence. ...Read more
Why?: I have had patients tell me that if the holidays were coming or some big event, they would pop some antabuse. And immediately they would think, "if i take this tonight i'll be able drink in x number of days." if you need Antabuse to keep from drinking, imho, you have a drinking problem and probably should not be drinking at all. Discuss this with your doctor or counselor. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is there a natural therapy to get rid of yellow eyes in a baby?
- Is there a natural way to get rid of floaters?
- Is d alpha tocopheryl acetate a natural form of vitamin e?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is there a natural way to get rid of intestinal atresia?
- Is there a generic form of campral currently available?
- Is there a benign form of multiple sclerosis?
- Is there a natural way i can get rid of stress induced belly fat?
- Talk to an addiction specialist online for free