Doctor insights on:
Is There Is A Difference Between Sulfur And Sulfa
Yes: Many people have taken "sulfa" drugs (usually an antibiotic) and have had allergic reactions to them (usually hives). This does not mean they are allergic to all medications containing the element "sulfur." for example, you may be allergic to sulfamethoxazole (an antibiotic) but not to hydrochlorothiazide (a sulfur containing high blood pressure medication). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Sulfur is not sulfa: Sulfur is an element that is part of many molecules. Sulfa is a term referring to a class of drugs, mostly antibiotics. Allergy sulfa drugs doesn't mean allergy to sulfur. Sulfur is not a commonly used medicine. ...Read more
I really need to know if i'm allergic to sulfa drugs so I can use a prescription facial cleanser with sulphur?
See your Doctor: If one suspects a drug allergy then see pcp or allergists to review the drug in question and the reaction that occurred. If the clinical history suggests a potential drug allergy then skin testing may be performed to conform this. Occasionally, an oral challenge may be done as well. ...Read more
Sulfa vs Sulfate : "sulfa allergy" is a term used to describe adverse drug reactions to the antibiotic group sulfonamide, which include septra and bactrim. Sulfates and sulfites are commonly used as preservatives in foods. While both sulfonamides and sulfates contain a sulfur molecule, they are chemically different. Having an allergic reaction to sulfonamides is not associated with being allergic to sulfates. ...Read more
No: I prescribe Gabapentin frequently and have never been concerned with whether or not my patients are allergic to sulfa when i prescribe it. Most patients tolerate Gabapentin very well. I've never had a patient who developed an allergy to it, though some people might not like it for one reason or another. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is there a difference between stomach flu nausea and anxiety nausea?
- Is there a difference between african sleeping sickness and chagas disease?
- Is there a difference between mitral valve prolapse and mitral regurgitation?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is there a difference between gerd and gord?
- Tick vs. mosquito bites
- Is there a difference between scarlet fever and strep throat?
- Is there a difference between a physical exam and wellness check?
- Is there a difference between sulfa and sulfur medications?