Doctor insights on:
Is There Brain Function During A Cardiac Arrest
Can you tell me what to expect with someone who has had a family member die of brain death/cardiac arrest?
Grieving: The death of a loved one usually triggers grieving. The person may feel disbelief. Try to barter with god. Be angry. Be sad. At some point acceptance will come. This is a time to provide support. ...Read more
Cause of death: Brain swelling (edema) will eventually cause the brain to herniate through one of the layers of protective scaffolding. This usually leads to wild fluctuations in blood pressure and rapidly to respiratory and cardiac arrest. However, the cause of death is the cause of the brian edema, not the cardiac arrest. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Hypoxia related: It is believed that during cardiac arrest and during all the efforts to save a person, there is hypoxia to the brain and this causes inflammation. There are also the release of hormones during the stress causing the inflammation. In some facilities where it is available, head trauma and cardiac arrest are treated with hypothermia to decrease and calm inflammation and decrease o2 need. ...Read more
How much time can a person be in cardiac arrest and survive with little to no brain damage when they are in icy?
Varies: Less than 5 minutes is the normal temperature answer. There have been anecdotal events of people that have been hours in icy water that regain consciousness with no brain damage, it is thought to be due to a decrease in metabolism. No real time known due to the fact that we can't really experiment to find out, and we only see it when it happens in real life. Not so common. ...Read more
When someone goes in 2 complete cardiac arrest . No pulse heaetbeat . How many min would it take without oxyegen to b brain dead ?
Not long: Survival from cardiac arrest is determined by many things, and time is certainly an important one. However, how well the body is oxygenated and perfused during the arrest (say, by cpr) as well as body temperature all play a role. In your question, you imply there is no oxygen - so the answer is mere minutes. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is there a relationship between kidney function and bradycardia?
- Is there testicular pain during sex if a guy has a hydrocele or varicocele?
- Is there a method to measure different neurotransmitter levels in the brain?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is there a connection between male sexual function and a bcir pouch?
- Why is there blood in toilet during a bowel movement?
- Is there a way to find out which brain surgeon is the best in the country?
- Is there a kind of lung cancer that leads to cancer in the brain?
- Talk to a critical care specialist online for free