Doctor insights on:
Is There A Major Difference Between Cow And Pig Heart Valves For Replacement
Not really: Both offer the advantage of not requiring "blood thinning" on a long term basis. Unlike a "mechanical" valve, cow and pig don't last longer than 7-12 years(with a few exceptions). Otherwise, the outcomes in both valves are generally the same and for all intents and purposes, either one is a reasonable choice in a patient who does not desire blood thinning. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
A valve is a structure that regulates the direction of flow. The heart is a special kind of pump. It moves blood by squeezing and relaxing. There are 4 chambers and each chamber has a valve. This keeps blood from moving backwards when the heart squeezes. When a chamber squeezes it lets the blood move forward but when the chamber is relaxed it prevents the blood from ...Read more
Heart valves: Heart valves need to be chosen for the individual patient. Different valves have their pluses and minuses and different valves 'fit' different people. Often the valve has to be chosen in the operating room to be as it were fitted to the patient. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
Why is it that the human body does not reject bovine or pig heart valves. Can cells from different animals survive in humans?
Mitral valve: Outcomes with mitral valve replacement are not quite as good as aortic valve replacement but, in many cases, the mitral valve can be repaired which is always preferable to replacement and has excellent outcomes if it's an option. The tricuspid and pulmonic valves are lower risk and less frequently needed operations. ...Read moreGet help from a doctor now ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is there a difference between mitral valve prolapse and mitral regurgitation?
- Is there a difference between blue light and uv light for sad?
- Is there a difference between minor depression and major depression?
- Is there a difference between benadryl and pseudoephedrine?
- Is there a difference between stomach flu nausea and anxiety nausea?
- Is there a difference between african sleeping sickness and chagas disease?
- Is there a difference between prostatitis and prostatorrhea?
- Is there a difference between gerd and gord?
- Talk to a cardiologist online