Doctor insights on:
Is There A Major Difference Between Cow And Pig Heart Valves For Replacement
Not really: Both offer the advantage of not requiring "blood thinning" on a long term basis. Unlike a "mechanical" valve, cow and pig don't last longer than 7-12 years(with a few exceptions). Otherwise, the outcomes in both valves are generally the same and for all intents and purposes, either one is a reasonable choice in a patient who does not desire blood thinning. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
A valve is a structure that regulates the direction of flow. The heart is a special kind of pump. It moves blood by squeezing and relaxing. There are 4 chambers and each chamber has a valve. This keeps blood from moving backwards when the heart squeezes. When a chamber squeezes it lets the blood move forward but when the chamber is relaxed it prevents the blood from ...Read more
Tissue valves: The size of pig and cow valves approximates the size of human valves. They are chemically treated to decrease the likelihood of tissue rejection. The porcine valves are more commonly used than the bovine. ...Read more
Probably: heart valve replacement because it is more inside job. ...Read more
Approximately how long will a mosaic porcine heart valve in the mitral position last before needing replacement? I am 23 yrs old
Exactly : I agree completely with dr. Binford. Probably less than 10 years. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Heart valves: Heart valves need to be chosen for the individual patient. Different valves have their pluses and minuses and different valves 'fit' different people. Often the valve has to be chosen in the operating room to be as it were fitted to the patient. ...Read more
Why is it that the human body does not reject bovine or pig heart valves. Can cells from different animals survive in humans?
Medical technology: The valves are derived from pig or bovine but are treated in a laboratory to remove the antigens that would cause a reaction against them in a human body. Medical technology is amazing! ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is there a difference between mitral valve prolapse and mitral regurgitation?
- Is there a difference between a prescription for glasses and contacts?
- Is there a difference between blue light and uv light for sad?
- Is there a difference between minor depression and major depression?
- Is there a difference between benadryl and pseudoephedrine?
- Is there a difference between sertraline and sertraline hcl?
- Is there a difference between stomach flu nausea and anxiety nausea?
- Is there a difference between african sleeping sickness and chagas disease?
- Talk to a cardiologist online for free