Doctor insights on:
Is There A Genetic Component To This Disease That I Can Pass Down To My Kids
From a medical standpoint, "genetic" refers to the potential heritability of various medical conditions. While some conditions are inevitable (at some point in one's life) as a consequence of simple genetic heritability (eg huntington's disease), a large number of medical conditions (including all behaviorial health disorders) are the expressed final pathway of a ...Read more
Not really: Though there are rare genetic stroke syndromes (eg cadasil), for the vast majority of strokes, risk factors with a strong genetic component (hypertension , diabetes, high cholesterol) are the much bigger contributors to strokes and heart attacks often running in families (getting these diseases increases risk of stroke). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes!!: Current thought says many factors are involved. Pd is more common in areas with high agricultural chemical use & in those working with heavy metals or toxic chemicals. We also know that genetics are involved with several identified mutations causing higher susceptibility & rare families with dominantly inherited pd. I believe the key & cure of pd will be found using genetic breakthroughs. ...Read more
What is the genetic component to autoimmune disease? I know someone with 6 people in their family with them...& all are neurological..Ms..Cidp...Etc.
Multiple sclerosis : Good question. Many autoimmune disorders have a prominent genetic predisposition with variable degree of inheritance. We believe most of those conditions require a dual trigger: one being the genetic predisposition and the other some type of environmental trigger (viral infection) that starts the immunological reaction. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Genetic linkage is the tendency of genes that are located proximal to each other on a chromosome to be inherited together during meiosis. Genes whose loci are nearer to each other are less likely to be separated onto different chromatids during chromosomal crossover, and are therefore said ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- I can see a black shadow in my peripheral from time to time is this normal
- My throat feels tight is there a medication i can take to loosen it quickly
- My husband has a prostate infection is there anything i can do to help him
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is there a way that i can get a bug bite puffiness to go away on the eye?
- My dad has eczema is this hereditary can it be passed down to me as well
- Is there a brace i can wear to fix my spinal stenosis?
- My husband complains that i snore a lot when i sleep is this due to allergies
- Talk to a pediatrician online