Doctor insights on:
Is The Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex Repair A Risky Thing To Do
Depends: It depends on the extent of disability and damage in the fibrocartilage itself and who is doing it. ...Read more
Size of tfcc tear,: Location, ie in the central avascular part or the vascular periphery, instability, whther is acute (new) or chronic , anatomy differences all come in to play. Smaller acute tears in the periphery, not associated with instability lkely do the best. Therapy may help reduce symptoms and at times corticosteroid injections help too, but if tear is large or the ulna is unstable then may need surgery ...Read more
TFCC: Initial management may include application of a muenster brace to immobilize the wrist and forearm. A cortisone injection may be helpful in conjunction. If symptoms persist, MRI arthrogram may be helpful. If tear is peripheral, wrist scope and repair. If tear is central, wrist scope and debridement. Many times, degenerative tear is associated with longer ulna. Shortening of ulna may be done too. ...Read more
2 main causes: Trauma such as a fall can cause a peripheral tear or central flap tear. Attrition tears can also occur from repetitive loading and overuse of the wrist. People with an ulnar positive variant (longer ulna than radius) are at greater risk for either type of tear. ...Read more
If an MRI reveals an oblique tear through disc proper of triangular fibrocartilage, will playing tennis/ golf do further damage?
Yes over time: If you are under 40 the tear is probably from repetitive trauma and will get worse over time with activities that cause ulnar deviation (towards the little finger). If older the tear is probably degenerative and may or may not get worse with use. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is the webbed finger or toe repair a risky thing to do?
- Is the lumbar facet rhizotomy a risky thing to do?
- Is the abdominal pelvic ct scan with dye a risky thing to do?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is the laser skin resurfacing a risky thing to do?
- Is the botox injections a risky thing to do?
- Is the breast implant removal a risky thing to do?
- Is the ganglion cyst removal a risky thing to do?
- Talk to a orthopedic surgeon online for free