Doctor insights on:
Is Sickle Cell Dominant Or Recessive
Recessive: Sickle cell is autosomal recessive which means both parents must have a copy of the defective allele (one or both can be carriers but exhibit no symptoms). ...Read more
This is a genetic disorder in which hemoglobin is abnormally made., more common in people of african descent. This abnormality causes red blood cells to become stiff and fall apart. This can cause very specific symptoms: pain, pneumonias, strokes, spleen problems, and many other problems. Some have mild disease, some ...Read more
Dominant genetically: Sickle cell disease is inherited as an autosomal recessive condition, which is what you will read from online sources and textbooks. One must inherit the gene from both parents to have the disease. This assumes that inheriting one copy of the gene (trait patient) has no phenotype (medical problems). This is not exactly true, as athletes have died from trait under extreme conditions. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
It depends: This often gets confusing because doctors don't always use terms the same way. Sickle cell anemia typically refers to the condition where a person inherits two s genes; by convention hematologists call this ss. This is also a type of sickle cell disease, but often hematologist include other diseases like sc disease (one s gene, one c gene) or s/beta thal under the umbrella of sickle cell disease. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Vasoocclusive event: Episodes of pain are the most common type of vasoocclusive event. Pain may be precipitated by events such as weather conditions, e,g,, high wind speed, low humidity, dehydration, infection, stress, menses, alcohol consumption, and nocturnal hypoxemia. However, the majority of painful episodes have no identifiable cause. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is sickle cell anemia dominant or recessive trait?
- Is sickle cell disease dominant or recessive?
- Sickle cell anemia autosomal recessive or dominant
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Sickle cell anaemia dominant or recessive
- Is down syndrome autosomal dominant or recessive?
- Is color blindness caused by recessive or dominant gene?
- Is down syndrome a dominant or recessive trait?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free