Doctor insights on:
Is Sickle Cell Anemia Dominant Or Recessive Trait
Usually none.: Patients with sca trait usually have no symptoms. If they are in an environment where oxygen is low, like high altitude, it is possible to have a pain crisis like sca patients get, but it is quite rare.
Usually not: Sickle cell trait is a hemoglobin genotype as and is generally regarded as a benign condition. However, individuals with sickle cell trait may have rare complications that mimic sickle cell disease.
Very few problems: The vast majority of the time sickle trait is clinically silent, meaning you will experience no health issues due to its presence. Rarely persons with sickle trait can experience sickling if they get dehydrated or exercise vigorously at high altitude. The major issue is understanding how sickle cell disease is inherited and your risk of having a child with this depending on mom's carrier state.
If my boyfriend has sickle cell anemia and I don't have neither the trait or disease, will our child end up having it?
No: If your boyfriend has sickle cell anemia (2 abnormal genes) and you have 2 normal genes, then your children will all have sickle cell trait but none will have the disease. You need to be sure you have no other blood abnormalities like thalassemia or hemoglobin c trait which can be totally asymptomatic; this would change the answer significantly!See 2 more doctor answers
Can you grow into sickle cell anemia? If you have the trait can you have it wen your younger but it doesn't show until it gets older?
No, but...: You won't grow into it, but even sickle cell trait patients may experience a crisis under certain conditions. I suggest talking to a hematologist.See 1 more doctor answer
What it the probability that a couple's child will be afflicted with sickle cell anemia if they both carry that trait but don't exhibit it?
25% chance: If both parents have trait, then the child has a 25% chance of having sickle cell disease, a 50% chance of having trait, and a 25% chance of not inheriting any mutation.
Confusing question: SS disease requires the genes for sickle cell from both parents, while S trait has it from one. You cannot change the genetic makeup that you were born with. Someone with trait can have a kid with SS if the partner has trait or SS.
Another possibility: One sickle cell syndrome is a combination of sickle cell trait and beta thalassemia. The symptoms are most like sickle cell disease. If this person had children, they could pass on the beta thalassemia and not the sickle cell. Otherwise, people sickle cell disease will have children with either trait or disease.See 1 more doctor answer
Hemoglobinopathy: Patients with sickle cell anemia make an abnormal hemoglobin (hgb.). Normal HGB consists of paired protein chains (globin) and an iron containing part (heme). Patients with ssa inherit an abnormal beta-globin gene from each parent. Carriers have one normal beta-globin gene and one sickle beta globin gene. The carriers (trait) have no symptoms.
No: There are varying forms of sickling diseases, however it is a recessive trait and so the parents may appear fine but carry the trait and yet have a child with the disease.See 1 more doctor answer
Yes: Sickle cell anemia requires the gene from both parents to cause ss anemia. If only one parent gave the gene, the kid would be a trait carrier.
Yes: Or one with trait and one with ss.See 1 more doctor answer
Do one or both parents have to have sickle cell anemia in order for this trait to pass on to their children?
No.: The parents could both be carriers of the sickle cell mutation on one of their two beta globin genes. Their other gene could be normal. This condition is called sickle cell trait. These people are usually asymptomatic with normal red cell indices. The child could have two copies of the mutant beta globin gene, one from each parent. Their is a 25% chance of this. For more details, consult your dr.See 1 more doctor answer
If me and boyfriend both have sickle cell trait, how will we prevent our children from having full sickle cell anemia?
Nothing: Unfortunately, there would be 25% chance for your child to have sickle cell disease and 50% chance for sickle cell trait. With our technology now, nothing can alter the risk. Sorry to say, the only thing for somebody with sickle cell trait to completely prevent any possibility of having a biological child with sickle cell disease is by having a child with somebody with normal hb.
Blood test positive for sickle cell anemia doctor said she is not sure if it is the trait or the actual illness! What do I do next?
Depends: If your doctor did a sickledex that was positive, this might not distinguish between sickle trait and sickle cell disease. The next test is a hemoglobin electrophoresis. If this shows mainly HGB a with HGB s, this is sickle trait. If both a and s but more s, this is sickle/beta+ thalassemia. If only s, sickle cell disease or sickle/beta 0thalassemia. Your doctor can explain what these mean.See 1 more doctor answer
Which brand of Whey Protein do you think is best for muscle gain in an individual who has Sickle Cell Anemia Trait?
Doesn't matter: Your muscles don't care what brand of protein you eat. Sickle cell trait doesn't affect muscle metabolism. Lean meat and fish are a much denser source of protein than any supplement. Good luck.
Can a father with normal blood and a mother with sickle cell trait have a child with sickle cell anemia?
NO: To simplify- providing that the father has a completely normal blood - (no other type of congenital/hereditary bood disorder-like thalasemia minor, hemoglobin c disease etc) - the baby will have 50% risk to have sickle cell trait-but the baby will not have sickle cell anemia.
- Talk to a doctor online
- Sickle cell anemia dominant or recessive
- Is sickle cell dominant or recessive?
- Sickle cell anaemia dominant or recessive
- Is sickle cell disease dominant or recessive?
- Sickle cell anemia vs sickle cell trait
- Anemia sickle cell trait in mother
- Examples of dominant and recessive traits
- Human traits dominant and recessive
- Sickle cell anemia autosomal recessive or dominant