Doctor insights on:
Is Parvovirus Dangerous
Virus causes illness: Parvovirus b 19 causes an illness associated with rash, sometimes with red cheeks we call" slapped cheek; fever, and joint symptoms. It does not require any antibiotics since it is a virus. It can be spread to others especilly among classrooms. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Different illness: Acute parvovirus b19 infection in the healthy adult is not generally the slapped cheek type illness that occurs in kids. Fever and muscle aches can occur but the most dominant feature is the polyarthritis/arthralgias that tend to occur in the hands, wrists, ankles and sometimes knees. The joint symptoms can last from several weeks. ...Read more
Not likely: Canine parvovirus type 2 affects dogs. It is highly contagious and spread by direct or indirect contact with feces. It is severe in puppies not protected by maternal antibodies or vaccination. It has two presentations, a cardiac and intestinal form. Treatment involves veterinary hospitalization. Vaccines can prevent this infection, but mortality can reach 91% in untreated cases. ...Read more
Cossert : Y. E. Cossert and colleagues first discovered the human parvovirus and published their work in the medical journal the lancet in 1975. The designation b19 with it refers to the coding of the sample in which it was found while looking for viruses using an electron microscope. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Not really: People who get parvovirus b19 infection can have no symptoms or can get sick. Kids get a rash, mild fever, and/or mild cold symptoms. Adults get a rash, some joint aches, and/or joint swelling. Infected persons, with or without symptoms, recover and have immunity against re-infection. Complications can be seen in persons with chronic anemia or immunosuppression, and occasionally in pregnant women. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is it dangerous if a sebaceous cyst ruptures?
- Is it dangerous to take muscle relaxants and hydrocodone together?
- Is scabies dangerous for pregnant women?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why is it dangerous to have an enlarged spleen?
- What is a dangerous bilirubin level in adults?
- Is it dangerous if a mole bleeds?
- Is it dangerous to eat moldy bread if you have a penicillin allergy?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online