Doctor insights on:
Is Nitroglycerin Spray Ever Used For Anything Other Than Angina
Angina is chest pain that is caused by poor blood flow to the heart muscle. Angina is not an actual disease, but rather a symptom of an existing heart problem. Most commonly, this underlying problem is due to an obstruction of the coronary blood vessels that surround the heart. There are different types of angina including stable angina, unstable ...Read more
Yes: It's also effective for esophageal spasm which may accompany gastroesophageal reflux disease. In contrast to angina, which often improves with a single dose (0.4 mg), it's not uncommon for esophageal disease to require 2 or 3 doses which must be given at 5 minutes intervals to avoid hypotension (low bp) and syncope (passing out). ...Read more
Why shouldn't you use nitrolingual (nitroglycerin) spray to relieve angina in cases of hypothyrodism?
Dilates vessels: It dilates blood vessels and lowers blood pressure. Burning under the tongue and headache are normal for new users. Esophageal smooth muscle is also affected so relief of pain is not specific for heart disease. Effects occur 2-3 minutes after a sublingual dose and last 20-30 minutes. Gi pain often requires 2 or 3 nitros for full relief. ...Read more
No: No.Get a more detailed answer ›
Can nitroglycerin, diltiazem, and Norvasc (amlodipine) as a dose make a good treatment for angina?
Roxonal: Roxonal is morphine. Morphine in sufficient dose is effective for most pain. We do not blithely prescribe morphine for angina unless all other forms of therapy are exhausted and inadequately effective. Nitro spray works effectively and rapidly for most anginal episodes. We generally use multiple drugs when treating patients with coronary artery disease and when appropriate stents or surgery. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is nitroglycerin spray ever used for anything other than angina heart pains?
- Is thalassemia major curable by anything other than bone marrow transplant?
- Can medical marijuana be prescribed for anything other than pain or nausea?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is chemotherapy used to treat a condition other than cancer?
- What is citalopram used for other than depression?
- What kinds of medicines other than inhalers are used for asthma?
- What are some of the common fertility drugs used other than clomid?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free