Doctor insights on:
Is Neuroblastoma Common In Teenagers
Rare.: Neuroblastoma is very rare in teenagers and is typically more difficult to treat than younger children with the disease. It is essential for a teenager diagnosed with neuroblastoma be treated at an academic medical center. In addition, because of the rarity, nationally recognized experts in neuroblastoma should be consulted by the local physician if needed. ...Read more
Depends: It depends on the stage and the age at the time of diagnosis and treatment. Survival can be as high as 80-90%. It will of course go down if untreated or if tumor is poorly differentiated or metastatic or if patient is older than one year of age. ...Read more
Improving: We are constantly trying to improve therapy for children with high-risk neuroblastoma (stage 4). Within the last couple of years, the addition of immunotherapy to standard of care therapy greatly improved overall survival from 46% to 66%. Thus, immunotherapy should now be standard of care. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Urine VMA/HVA: In about 90 % of children with neuroblastoma, the chemicals called vma and/or hva in urine are increased. Thus this can be used as a screening if one suspects neuroblastoma. But it does not detect 100 % of patients, thus normal urine vma/hva does not exclude the diagnosis of neuroblastoma. This is particularly true in newborn infants with neurobllastoma or children with neuroblastoma in the chest. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Difficult to say: Neuroblastoma is a pathological diagnosis depending upon a certain tissue type. It may be referring to a variant of neuroblastoma, since neuroblastoma is well known to evolve into more mature or less malignant tissue types like ganglioneuroma. Etc. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How common is parathyroid disease in teenagers?
- What is the most common cancer in teenagers?
- What is the most common treatment for a broken vein in the wrist?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is it common for teenagers to have eye floaters?
- Is excess vaginal discharge common in ovarian cyst?
- How common is tetanus in the united states?
- Is it unhealthy for a teenager to have visible veins in their legs?
- Talk to a pediatrician online