Doctor insights on:
Is Lead Poisonous
No: The graphite pencil which is also known as the lead pencil. The 'lead' is a misnomer in a sense leading to confusion with lead of lead poisoning. The content of the black writing portion of a lead pencil is a mixture of high-grade charcoal and clay. All the same, consumption of the pencil is not advised. ...Read more
Poison can cause angina? Is it possible that poison, in particular poisonous metals, can cause angina?
Stunts development : Lead is toxic to brain cells, and can damage them (eg. Limit the ability of neurons to branch and form connections to other neurons) and even kill brain cells, as well as other cells in the body (eg the cells in bone marrow that produce blood cells). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes, work relTed lea: Occupational lead poisoning is the most common cause of lead poisoning in adults .the exposure to leads may come from handling lead batteries , lead based paint . Car radiators etc . Even people who live in very old houses which may still have lead based paint can cause lead poisoningd. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Medications: The most common cause of childhood poisoning is swallowing drugs. 1 out of 180 two year-olds will visit the emergency room because of medication poisoning. How can we keep our kids safe? Lock up your medications. Keep poison control number 1-800-222-1222 near every phone and on your cell phone. Read the label on the medication bottle. Get rid of old medicine. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: When ever anyone seems to have add it is important to rule out medical reasons including toxins such as lead. ...Read more
What's the cause?: A big liver is a feature of a huge number of different diseases, each capable of killing. Most familiar is the big liver of alcohol abuse, especially after a bender. Treatable causes of livers enlargement due to primary disease include the hepatitis family, drug allergy, wilson's, hemochromatosis, lack of exercise, and a few others. Find the cause and address it -- and good luck! ...Read more
Miniscule: Pouring liquid into a 38% lead glass, and drinking from it over the next several minutes to hours is not going to affect you at all. Exposure risk is increased if you place slightly acidic materials in lead decanters or bottles: acids result in leaching out the lead from the container. Again -- this is a slow process over months -- not days. ...Read more
Almost never: In particular, I do not believe that inhaling common mold is a serious cancer risk. If it were, we'd probably all be sick by now. The body clears these spores readily on the mucociliary elevator. Some people are allergic and this can be troublesome, but as a risk for death, don't worry yourself. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: it can.Get a more detailed answer ›
No if used properly: Most toothpaste today contains between 1000 ppm & 1450 ppm fluoride, usually in the form of sodium Fluoride or sodium monofluorophosphate (mfp). Prescription strength Fluoride toothpaste generally contains 5, 000 ppm sodium Fluoride toothpaste.This type of toothpaste is used in the same manner as regular toothpaste. It is well established that sodium Fluoride is safe & effective to prevent cavities. ...Read moreSee 3 more doctor answers
Could ingesting small amount of paint thinner be deadly or poisonous? What immediate actions should one take?
Possible ER: Even small amounts of paint thinners (hydrocarbons) can cause significant problems most commonly lung problems. Symptoms of pneumonia can occur 4 to 6 hours after ingestion. It is not recommending to induce vomiting as that increases the risk of lung problems. I do not know what a small quantity truly means. If it was essentially a drop or two you are probably safe. If it was more seek ER advice ...Read more
No unless done often: Soldering is where solder is melted by a hot iron and allowed to cool, thus joining 2 pieces of metal, etc. If this is done rarely, like once in a while, it likely won't cause any side effects, even with lead, but if done often, it might cause lead poisoning as the process might cause some of the lead to be melted, if hot enough. Still, lead has a very high melting point, so it must be very hot. ...Read more