Top
10
Doctor insights on: Is It Safe For My Child To Chew On Pencils Lead Poisoning Risk

Share
1

1
Is it safe for my child to chew on pencils? Lead poisoning risk?

Is it safe for my child to chew on pencils? Lead poisoning risk?

Yes: Pencil lead is actually a non toxic material called graphite. Unpainted pencils only a problem if baby bites off chunks and chokes on them. I don't believe that the paint on pencils is a problem if they are made in the us. I have reservations for any painted material coming out of china as they may have toxic material in the paint. ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers
Dr. Sarandeep Makkar
217 doctors shared insights

Lead Poisoning (Definition)

usually done at 1 year routinely.gives us the level of lead the child is exposed to ..if greater than5 microgram/deciliter can cause silent ireversable brain damage if left untreatec lead is is a heavy metal can damage other body tissues lead is quite commonly seen i many everyday things surrounding ...Read more


2

2
Can you get lead poisoning from a pencil if your child accidently pricked himself?

Can you get lead poisoning from a pencil if your child accidently pricked himself?

No: The "lead" pencils do not have any lead in it, therefore no risk of poisoning. There's a risk of foreign body in ears or nose, so try to keep toddlers away from them anyway... ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
3

3
Why nobody gets lead poisoning from pencils?

Why nobody gets lead poisoning from pencils?

Not lead: Pencil lead is actually a non toxic material called graphite. ...Read more

4

4
If you stab yourself with a pencil will you get lead poisoning?

No: No, mostly because the 'lead' in a pencil is not the metal, but graphite, which may leave a stain but does not poison. ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers
6

6
Can you get lead poisoning from any regular or artist's pencils in the u.S.?

Graphite: The "lead " in pencils is not lead, the metal.It is graphite.There is nothing toxic about graphite. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
8

8
Pencil tip stuck in hand. Can i get lead poisoning from this?

No: The pencil tip is composed of graphite, a non toxic substance.You might get an infection if you don't care for the wound, but you cannot get lead poisoning. ...Read more

9

9
What should I do if there is mechanical pencil lead in my foot? Will it give me lead poisoning?

What should I do if there is mechanical pencil lead in my foot? Will it give me lead poisoning?

No: Pencil "lead" is actually graphite, not really lead, so you will not get lead poisoning . If you have a solid piece in you foot then it should be removed (like a splinter). If you don't actually have a solid piece of graphite under the skin, but the the tiny remnants, then i would treat it the same as any other wound caused by a splinter. ...Read more

10

10
My baby put the end of a carpenter pencil in her mouth will she get lead poisoning?

My baby put the end of a carpenter pencil in her mouth will she get lead poisoning?

Yes: Pencil lead is actually a non toxic material called graphite. Unpainted pencils only a problem if baby bites off chunks and chokes on them. I don't believe that the paint on pencils is a problem if they are made in the us. I have reservations for any painted material coming out of china as they may have toxic material in the paint. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
259 doctors shared insights

Poisoning (Definition)

Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze . . . are all ...Read more