Doctor insights on:
Is It Possible To Have Mumps Twice
Mumps is a viral infection of children caused by the paramyxovirus virus. The salivary glands (esp. Parotid behind the ears) swell. The paramyxovirus virus is spread by direct contact with an infected person's sneeze or cough. With nearly universal immunization in childhood, there are few cases ...Read more
I've had the mumps only on one side of my face, is it possible for the other side to show symptoms right after the other has healed?
Confusing issue: The swelling of the salivary glands can be caused by the mumps virus and can involve more one side than the other.The illness runs its course and after resolution you don't see the other side infected weeks/months/years later. The first infection gives permanent immunity.However, you can have non-mumps infections in either set of glands and if bacterial they may recur. ...Read more
Yes: Post licensing studies show the effectiveness of a single dose of mumps vaccine at 80% while 2 doses bring the total to 88-95%.There is some suggestion that vaccine induced immunity might weaken over time in a minority of individuals.Repeated doses can boost immunity at any age and do not harm those receiving the vaccine. ...Read more
Yes: Vaccines have decreased illness rates dramatically, but there are some people who don't respond to vaccines and are still susceptible. This is one reason that a large percentage of the population needs to be immunized to make a dent in the transmission of a disease. Herd immunity protects if the immunizations aren't effective. (if others in the herd don't have mumps, you won't get mumps.). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends on when ...: Getting mumps after puberty is more likely to affect his fertility - even then, not all boys/men have infertility or reduced fertility. He needs to have a semen analysis, preferably through a fertility clinic. 30 to 50% of males with mumps affecting the testicles get testicular atrophy, where one or both testicles reduce in size. The chance of sperm issues is at least 15%. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is it normal to have your period twice in one month?
- Is it possible for your head to hurt so bad you feel like you have to throw up?
- Is it possible to get pregnant if i have secondary amenorrhea?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is it possible to get dry socket twice on the same wisdom tooth?
- Months after giving birth is it possible to have a a retained placenta
- Is it possible to have your period for one day?
- Is it possible for 18 year olds to have stomach cancer?
- Talk to a pediatrician online