Doctor insights on:
Is It Common For Teenagers To Have Atrial Fib
No.: Af is a disease that become more common after age 50. It is unusual, but not especially rare, to have af before this age. Often other conditions can be found that trigger af in young people - like hyperthyroidism, caffeine, alcohol, valve disease, etc. Sometimes af can occur "out of the blue" in young people - usually referred to as "lone af". ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: Atrial fibrillation, by definition, is an irregularity in the heartbeat, and therefore is detectable by manual palpation of someone's pulse. It should always be confirmed with an EKG tracing, because there are other causes of pulse irregularity which occasionally can be difficult to distinguish on physical exam, and which have different implications for therapy from atrial fib. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Is there a difference between atrial fib and skipped beats? I have both at different times. Skipped beats may proceed atrial fib, but not always.
Yes: Atrial fibrillation is a special kind of irregular heart rhythm. Skipped beats can occur for a variety of reasons such as simply a normal beat that comes early, to a beat coming from a place in the heart that is atypical from the normal beat. Some people may also have other rapid irregular heart rhythms that are not atrial fibrillation. A heart monitor usually can distinguish among these. ...Read more
My husband has atrial fib and recently had episodes of presyncope. He was told he was 'dry'. What's this mean?
Dehydration: He essentially needs fluids.Get a more detailed answer ›
I've just started taking amiodarone for atrial fib.. I was cardioverted back to rhythm and now i'm out again. Is it wise to discontinue the ami?
Amiodarone: Amiodarone is one of the most effective antiarrhythmics in cardiology. It stays in your system up to 12 weeks. Please do not discontinue amiodarone or any other medication without speaking to your doctor. Even though you are back in afib the amiodarone is holding your rate lower than if you were not taking it. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is it common for teenagers to have eye floaters?
- Is it unhealthy for a teenager to have visible veins in their legs?
- Is it common to have a blood transfusion for kidney problems?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is it common for women to have discharge?
- Is it common for periods to stop completely after having a hysterectomy?
- How common is it for somebody to have problems from spider bites?
- Is it common for a woman of 56 to have difficulty holding her bladder?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free