Doctor insights on:
Is Heat Or Ice Good For Foot Sprains
I have a sprained on my right foot toes only, believe from slipping accidentally.I am using heat pack & icy hot. Is their any recommendation/ concerns?
I have an ankle sprain, why shouldn't heat be used? My foot is freezing and want to warm it up but wasn't sure why heat packs can't be used?
RICE: Rice. Rest- 24 to 28 hrs. Avoid activities that require use of your ankle. Ice- for first 2 days after injury, apply ice for 15 to 20 minutes every few hours. A bag of frozen peas is good. Compression- you can wrap your foot, ankle & lower leg with an ace wrap. Make sure it is not so tight that it decreases your circulation. Elevate- elevate ankle above your heart. Can prop on a pillow. ...Read more
No: For a sprained ligament, cold wraps helps decrease swelling and allow the ligaments to heal quicker. Example, look at professional athletes. After games or injuries, they are constantly bathing in ice baths or cold wraps to contain swelling and help with healing process. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Do you ice or heat a sprained ankle?
- Should i ice or heat a two week old knee sprain
- If i sprained my knee how long do i ice it ann when do i put heat on it
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Hurt neck ice or heat
- Alternating heat and ice treatment
- Muscle spasms heat or ice
- Ice or heat to reduce swelling
- Talk to a orthopedic surgeon online for free