Doctor insights on:
Is Dopamine Similar To Dobutamine
Yes and no: They are both catecholamines, a specific type of chemical class. In the body, there are different type of receptors in tissues which bind catechols with different effects. Dopamine and doubtamine have different affinities for different receptors and thus can have different effects. Kind of like different types of baking sugars...They are all sugars but are used for special purposes and functions. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Sometimes use both: Dopamine has more affect on blood pressure (raises it). Dobutamine increases heart (myocardial) contractility so it makes the heart muscle beat stronger and subsequently increases cardiac output. They are often used together for people with heart failure and low bp. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Receptors: These three medications are used to support the heart and cardiovascular system ie. blood pressure and heart rate. They are known as sympathomimetics and have a similar response to what you would think of as adrenaline. Each has variable effect on either heart rate, heart function (in terms of strength of 'squeeze') and on blood vessels which would translate to higher blood pressure. ...Read more
I was wondering what are the differences of levophed, dopamine and dobutamine in terms of their action?
You Asked for It----: Dobutamine- direct b1 receptor stimulant or agonist in the sympathetic nervous system. Levophed- vasoconstrictor peripherally (alpha adrenergic effects) and beta adrenergic stimulant at the level of the heart and coronary vessels dopamine- dual b1 and Alpha adrenergic effects. Useful in hypovolemic shock because of conservancy of renal blood flow. Also, works centrally in other complex ways. ...Read more
Can a pheochromocytoma or paraganglioma cause an increase in dopamine production or similar effects in any other neurotransmitter processes?
Most food sources: Dopamine by itself is not found in any food sources but there are two Amino Acids that are converted to Dopamine in the body. Look for foods with phenylananine and tyrosine in them, though this is not very difficult to find. Most meats, dairy, and grains are high in both of these amino acids. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the difference between dopamine and dobutamine?
- Is there an over-the-counter medication that is similar to antabuse?
- Frozen food nutrient content is similar to what foods
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is it okay to drink caffeinated drink before a dobutamine nuclear stress test?
- What is difference between dopamine and dobutamine?
- In what ways is diabetes insipidus similar to diabetes mellitus
- What is bursitis and are its symptoms very similar to arthritis symptoms?
- Talk to a critical care specialist online for free