Doctor insights on:
Is Atrial Fibrillation Hereditary
Atrial fibrillation is an irregular and often rapid heart rate that commonly causes poor blood flow to the body. During atrial fibrillation, the heart's two upper chambers (the atria) beat chaotically and irregularly — out of coordination with the two lower chambers (the ventricles) of the heart. Atrial fibrillation symptoms include heart palpitations, shortness ...Read more
Occasionally: It can run in families, but mainly, it's just a common entity that has increasing prevalence with aging. ...Read more
Medications: There are a variety of medications which can either control the heart rate or convert the rhythm back to normal. Sometimes cardioversion is used to correct the heart rhythm. Also in some cases ablation can be done which will correct the abnormal rhythm. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Irregular: Atrial fibrillation occurs when the atria, which deliver blood to the ventricles, receive an abnormal electrical signal and then beat erratically instead of in a coordinated, strong beat. The danger of atrial fibrillation is that the blood in the atria tends to stay there instead of getting pumped fully into the ventricles. This slow moving blood in the atria can then form blood clots. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Many options: Electrical activity during afib needs to be recorded for official diagnosis. Standard ecg, or longer tests such as holter monitor (24-48 hrs), zio patch (14 days), event recorder/mcat (up to 30days) or even an implantable loop recorded (3+ years). There needs to be a poorly defined, irregular rhythm from the top of the heart. For more information check out www.Heart.Org. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is atrial fibrillation or ventricular fibrillation more serious?
- Is there a relationship between flying and atrial fibrillation?
- Is ventricular fibrillation hereditary?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is it safe to smoke marijuana if you have atrial fibrillation?
- What is the intervention for atrial fibrillation of paramedics?
- Is atrial fibrillation a disability?
- What is worse ventricular fibrillation or atrial fibrillation?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free