Doctor insights on:
Is Aortic Aneurysm Hereditary
Depends: An aortic aneurysm can be the result of inherited conditions like marfan's syndrome. Conversley, aortic aneurysms may appear 'de novo' in those without a family history and only clinical risk factors such as atherosclerosis and hypertension. Since the relationship between genetics and environment is complex, if there is a family history one should always be extra vigilant and monitor. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Aortic aneurysm is a medical condition in which there is an balloon like outpouching in the wall of the aorta, which is the largest blood vessel in the body. Most commonly, this aneurysm occurs in the segment of the aorta that runs through the abdomen. Rupture can lead to massive ...Read more
Can a genetically inherited thoracic aortic aneurysm be congenital or can it appear later in life?
Generally later in: Life unless related to coarctation.Get a more detailed answer ›
Several things: About 5% of men over the age of 65 have abdominal aortic aneurysms. Risk factors include: increasing age, male sex, family history of aneurysm (may increase your risk 4-fold), hypertension, and history of smoking. Dissecting aneurysms can be caused by localized damage to to the artery from hypertension or trauma (deceleration or sheering-type injury) or catheter injury from an angiogram. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Based on size: The risk of rupture of an aortic aneurysm increases with its size (diameter). When the size reaches a certain threshold, the risk of rupture becomes substantial. At this point, a repair is justified either with surgery or a percutaneous stent graft. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the life expectancy after repairing an aortic aneurysm?
- What is the nursing care for abdominal aortic aneurysm?
- Is high altitude bad for aortic aneurysms?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Aortic aneurysm anxiety is this one of the worst health issues like a timebomb
- Is aortic stenosis hereditary?
- Is an abdominal aortic aneurysm in teenagers even possible?
- Is aortic regurgitation hereditary?
- Talk to a vascular surgeon online for free