Doctor insights on:
Intestinal Bowel Syndrome
I suffer from irritable bowel syndrome.Whenever Ive to take train early morning,I GT intestinal contractions with strong urgnt need for a bowel movmt.
Sounds situational: If due to IBS, there is medicine you can take before facing the situation in which you expect to have symptoms. ...Read more
The gastrointestinal tract starts at the mouth, travel down the tunnel (esophagus), which connects to the stomach, which then empties into the duodenum, jejunum, and ileum---the three parts of the small intestine (@25 feet). This empties into the colon or large intestine (about 5 feet), which then becomes the sigmoid colon, rectum and out the anus. So, every morsel eaten ...Read more
What would be the approx life span for someone that has intestinal malabsorption due to subtotal colectomy, Ileostomy placement, short bowel syndrome?
Maybe long: The colectomy and ileostomy will not typically shorten life expectancy. Short bowel syndrome may shorten life span, but it depends on severity. There are a few centers in the US that perform bowel lengthening procedures and small bowel transplant. Ask you surgeon about the severity of the short bowel, and think about support groups for ileostomy help. Hope this helps! ...Read more
My dad died at 42 with carcinoid syndrome. Started in colon & intestine then to liver. I have already had colon polyps removed. Is this hereditary?
Too Little Intestine: Certain medical conditions require emergency removal of a significant amount of the small intestine. We see this in infancy associated with necrotizing enterocolitis and in adults when the blood supply to the small intestine is cut-off. The small bowel is responsible for digesting nutrients within our diet; if a lot of the small intestine is missing, nutritional deficiencies occur. ...Read more
See website: Shortbowelfoundation.Org.Get a more detailed answer ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Will irritable bowel syndrome show up on a colonoscopy
- Differences between symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and ovarian cancer
- Is organic apple cider vinegar good for irritable bowel syndrome?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Living with irritable bowel syndrome
- Does irritable bowel syndrome cause interstitial cystitis?
- Irritable bowel syndrome and nexium
- Can irritable bowel syndrome lead to malnutrition?
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online