Top
25
Doctor insights on: Inhaling Too Much Bleach When Cleaning

Share
1

1
Do I need to see a dr. After inhaling too much bleach or chemicals while cleaning? My chest hurts a bit

Do I need to see a dr. After inhaling too much bleach or chemicals while cleaning? My chest hurts a bit

Short term: Depends upon the chemicals but most fumes from diluted cleaning agents, can be irritating but not harmful. You might be a little oversensitive to one of them or perhaps some underlying asthma. Check with a pulmonary doctor if the symptoms persist. ...Read more

3

3
I think I inhaled too much bleach and degreaser while cleaning, should I not breastfeed my baby, if so for how long?

I think I inhaled too much bleach and degreaser while cleaning, should I not breastfeed my baby, if so for how long?

Okay to keep feeding: Make sure you get some fresh air and are in a well ventilated area, but smelling the fumes of bleach for a short period of time won't do anything to your breastmilk. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
4

4
Is there a danger of inhaling too much when using a bleach solution to clean if I then go outside and get fresh air?

Is there a danger of inhaling too much when using a bleach solution to clean if I then go outside and get fresh air?

Sure: The fumes of bleach can be dangerous if inhaled too greatly. Assure you have adequate ventilation when working with bleach and if you are going to work with it for prolonged times, you should wear an approved mask for such. ...Read more

5

5
I must have inhaled too much bleach while cleaning. I feel fine, but whenever I breathe in, I smell bleach. What should I do?

I must have inhaled too much bleach while cleaning. I feel fine, but whenever I breathe in, I smell bleach. What should I do?

Rinse nose out: You may wish to try rinsing your nose out with water. The sensation will disappear on its own, but rinsing out the nose may hasten the process. ...Read more

7

7
What can happen if u inhale bleach or to much bleach fronm cleaning ?

What can happen  if u inhale bleach or to much bleach fronm cleaning ?

Inhaling bleach: Bleach is a respiratory irritant. It releases chlorine gas at the cell level. Chlorine gas is a direct cell toxin. It will cause coughing can cause chest pain and can cause fluid accumulation in the lungs. Its not something you should be doing on a regular basis. - use plenty of ventilaton and never mix bleach and ammonia - that will really cause problems. ...Read more

8

8
I inhaled to much chlorine while washing the bathroom with bleach and I am having difficulty breathing. I cleaned it in a closed room.

I  inhaled to much chlorine while washing the bathroom with bleach and I am having difficulty breathing. I cleaned it in a closed room.

It is imperative: that you leave the bathroom and get fresh air (out doors). Chlorine is denser than air -so don't lie in a low area. Seek medical care as soon as possible. In the United States - we usually have the fire department enter the room first to ensure that cause of chlorine gas is removed and that area is properly ventilated. ...Read more

12

12
Accidentally inhaled a lot of undiluted bleach (idiot move I know) while cleaning. Can I still take klonopin (clonazepam)?

Accidentally inhaled a lot of undiluted bleach (idiot move I know) while cleaning. Can I still take klonopin (clonazepam)?

Bleach fumes: Call the National Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222 for advice about your bleach fume exposure. Ventilate area meantime. Wait on Klonopin (clonazepam) until you're sure you have no symptoms from bleach inhalation. Hope this helps. ...Read more

14

14
I inhaled a lot of bleach while cleaning and my lungs hurts so bad it hurts to take a deep breath?

I inhaled a lot of bleach while cleaning and my lungs hurts so bad it hurts to take a deep breath?

Get checked ! : You should get urgently checked by a clinician. You will likely recover ok, but you may need additional therapy - hard to tell without a checkup how you'll do - in order to assess & treat for potential acute & chronic complications. ...Read more

15

15
I inhaled too much zonrox while cleaning bathroom 4 hrs ago i used 1/4 pure bottle of bleach.i had head ache. what can i do to make me feel better ?

Fresh are: Get out into the fresh air. The symptoms from the zonrox should abate. You should also change your clothes and shower. ...Read more

16

16
I inhaled too much bleach cleaning my shower and now i feel nauseous and my throat hurts?

I inhaled too much bleach cleaning my shower and now i feel nauseous and my throat hurts?

Inhaled chloring gas: Chlorine gas is a potent oxydizer when it contacts moist surfaces in your throat, nose and lungs. Get to fresh air as soon as possible. When possible rinse the areas with water to dilute the chlorine. Always use bleach in well ventilated areas. ...Read more

17

17
I inhaled a lot of bleach while I was cleaning and I keep coughing, what do I do?

I inhaled a lot of bleach while I was cleaning and I keep coughing, what do I do?

Urgent medical care: Samantha, inhalation of chlorine irritates the lung tissue. Household exposure to chlorine vapors usually causes mild symptoms. I don't know how long ago you were exposed but since you continue to cough you may have had a more moderate exposure which can cause a chemical irritant induced asthma. it would be best to go to your nearest emergency department for evaluation and treatment right away. ...Read more

18

18
Would 5 min of inhaling bleach fumes while i cleaned the bathroom be cause for concern if my baby inhaled it?

Would 5 min of inhaling bleach fumes while i cleaned the bathroom be cause for concern if my baby inhaled it?

Depends: No, assuming you are pregnant and it is YOU who inhaled the bleach. If a baby was actually inhaling it ALSO, you should both go outdoors and get lots of fresh air. If either is having any trouble breathing, noisy breathing or wheezing or drooling, draining, or irritated eyes and it doesn't go away quickly with fresh air, then you should see someone. Ventilate well always when using bleach. ...Read more

21

21
I cleaned my room with bleach i didn't indigest any but i inhaled the fumes while cleaning and now I have bleach taste in my mouth should I be worried?

I cleaned my room with bleach i didn't indigest any but i inhaled the fumes while cleaning and now I have bleach taste in my mouth should I be worried?

No, Rinse: First of all you can use soap and water or 409 to clean, even white vinegar is better. Do not use open bleach. But bleach fumes are more toxic to the eyes than oral mucosa. So if your eyes don't burn you probably did not get toxic levels of bleach in your mouth. Just rinse your mouth with warm water copiously. Inhalation of bleach fumes can also be dangerous to your lungs. Stay away from it. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
23

23
1- In 2014 i inhaled Clorox bleach for 3 hours indoor small amount 2- months later i inhaled alcohol for 15 minutes while cleaning 3- 2016 i inhaled plastic fume outdoor (6) seconds close range Did i effect my brain? Can the brain heal?? male 20

1-  In 2014 i inhaled Clorox bleach for 3 hours indoor small amount
2-  months later i inhaled alcohol for 15 minutes while cleaning
3- 2016 i inhaled plastic fume outdoor (6) seconds close range

Did i effect my brain?
Can the brain heal??
male 20

Heavy Particles: Usually some of what you have mentioned get inhaled as big and heavy particles that either get stuck in the hair of the nose or gets down to the lower airways in the lungs with the potential of damaging the lungs. Unlikely this would affect the brain. Why do you get yourself exposed to inhalation injuries that often?! ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers
24

24
I beleive I have damaged my lungs by breathing in some cleaning chemicals. What can I do about this horrible coughing fit ? I was clleaning my toilet and mixed some bleach with toilet bowl cleaner in the bowl and went to wipe it out and inhaled the fume

I : I really wish i had seen your question earlier, so that i could have responded to it immediately. It sounds like you did damage your lungs. I do not know if the damage is temporary. Mixing bleach with some toilet bowl cleaners can produce chlorine gas. To get an idea of how dangerous chlorine is, it has been used as a chemical warfare agent. Bleach mixed with ammonia is especially dangerous because it can create monochloramine or dichloramine (chloramine gases). You won’t see the gases in the air and you might not smell them because of the aroma of the chemicals you are using. It is usually unwise to mix cleaning chemicals because there could be chemical reactions that releases toxic gases. Anytime you are cleaning a toilet with a chemical product that can be toxic (yes that includes most cleaning products), the windows should be open and the fans should be on. If you come into contact with gases that cause you to cough or experience burning, get fresh air as quickly as possible. Depending on how severely you are impacted, do not hesitate to call 911. I do recommend that you be seen at your emergency room, especially if you have lingering symptoms. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
25

25
I was cleaning and inhaled to much bleach fumes. I am coughing , short of breath, burning eyes. What should I do?

I was cleaning and inhaled to much bleach fumes. I am coughing , short of breath, burning eyes. What should I do?

Fumes only?: If it was just fumes, supportive care is all you need. Fluids and ibuprofen. If the liquid actually came in contact with your eyes and/or throat, a chemical burn to the mucous membrane of a severe nature could occur. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer