Doctor insights on:
Inhaling Alcohol Fumes
If I inhaled rubbing alcohol fumes for a few hours while windows were open and am 4 weeks pregnant, is that bad? Didn't know it was bad till after : (
Not bad: We use rubbing alcohol in the hospital all the time in the form of prep pads prior to IV"s and injections. With the open windows, "no harm, no foul".
Rubbing or isopropyl: If you breath a lot of these fumes they can be a severe irritant and cause nosebleeds. Isopropyl alcohol fumes can be absorbed into the lung membrane and result in brain and nerve damage. Common symptoms of nerve damage include dizziness and numbness. Less severe symptoms include nausea and headaches. When inhaled briefly or sniffed in a robust fashion, you may experience a quick headache.
Why do docs say it's safe to have a glass or two of wine a night but not to have some pot in a non-inhaled form nightly? Isn't alcohol addicting too?
Where?: What physicians say this? Not here on health tap. Not that I have seen.
Nebulized: Alcohol has been administered in a nebulized form (very small droplets) and inhaled. I believe it was popular in some nightclubs a few years ago so patrons could become intoxicated and avoid the calories associated with ingestion. Overdose is much more likely as absorption is very rapid and doseage is difficult to judge. The volatility of ethanol is far below that of the inhalational anesthetics.
I drank alcohol yesterday and today my chest feels compressed and everytime I inhale deeply it hurts and feels weird?
Pleural pain: If the pain is accompanied by shortness of breath sufficient to slow down your ability to run, or is accompanied by palpitations or a crushing feeling in the chest, get seen to rule out pneumothorax, pleural infection, etc. Most often the type of pain you describe is due to a fold in the pleura, the lining of the inside of your chest wall. This is usually trivial and self-cures.
I don't drink alcohol sit around people who smoke does that affect my body when I inhale it if so what are the symptoms?
Second hand smoke: May not cause immediate problem if you don't have the sensitivity to it like asthma or allergic rhinitis. You are inhaling the particles that include nicotine and it causes high bp, constriction of arteries, deposition of cholesterol and addiction to it. You are also inhaling tar which can eventually cause cancer, emphysema. So please be careful with 2nd hand smoke.
1- In 2014 I inhaled Clorox bleach for 3 hours indoor small amount 2- months later I inhaled alcohol for 15 minutes while cleaning 3- 2016 I inhaled plastic fume outdoor (6) seconds close range Did I effect my brain? Can the brain heal?? male 20
Heavy Particles: Usually some of what you have mentioned get inhaled as big and heavy particles that either get stuck in the hair of the nose or gets down to the lower airways in the lungs with the potential of damaging the lungs. Unlikely this would affect the brain. Why do you get yourself exposed to inhalation injuries that often?!See 2 more doctor answers
Depends: No real "Contraindication" but immediate use of alcohol with any medicine is NOT WISE! You can have a reasonable amount of alcohol in between doses of your medications. Hope this Helps Dr Z
I Inhaled some isopropyl alcohol while removing hair extensions and some got on my scalp. I feel strange now, is it dangerous?
Fresh air: Always try to work in a well ventilated area when working with volatile liquids. Go get some fresh air for about 20 - 30 minutes and you should be fine.
Rubbing alcohol?: I'm not sure whether you mean an accidental sniff while using this rubbing alcohol, or purposefully breathing it in? If it's the latter, please stop now and get help! You're risking your respiratory system, your brain, your liver, and your life. Inhaled alcohol gets into your bloodstream and is delivered through your placenta. Yes, this could harm your baby including fetal alcohol syndrome.
What affects does inhaling isopropyl alcohol have on a fetus? I use it everyday as a disinfectant when I give myself insulin.
If only this use: If you're only meaning this type of use where you don't have to inhale deeply, you will probably not be harming yourself or your baby. Some people purposefully inhale this alcohol to get intoxicated -- and this kind of use could harm both you and your baby. I suggest you avoid breathing it in at all, if possible.See 1 more doctor answer
I've had a cough for a while and doctor prescribed an inhaler. Can I drink alcohol while using an albuterol sulfate inhaler?
Accidently inhaled several deep breaths of isopropyl alcohol when getting orthodontic retainer mold. Have I killed brain cells? What damage was done?
No damage: First of all a few breaths of isopropyl alcohol once inn your life is not going to do any damage. Second, orthodontists do not use alcohol-based impression materials. They're made of other chemical compounds, so I doubt it was alcohol that you inhaled. Glad your braces are off--wear your retainers as directed.See 4 more doctor answers
Can I consume alcohol while using a qvar (beclomethasone) prescription inhaler, momentasone furoate, and prescription Amoxicillin and Clavulanate?
Yes: Contrary to common belief not all antibiotics interact with alcohol. The medications you asked about in your question are all ok.
I accidentally inhaled 1 sniff of isopropyl alcohol 95% and glycerine 5% (ear drying agent) instead of my saline nasal spray. I immediately flushed?
Should not be a: Problem. 1 sniff will not hurt you.
Either: Both types of mouthwash are going to have agents in them that will kill bacteria that tend to cause bad breath. If you are aware of halitosis, be sure to brush your tongue well, especially toward the back. This is a common source for bad breath. Also be sure to get your teeth cleaned at the dentist if it has been a while. Mouthwash helps, but often just covers up the real problem.See 2 more doctor answers
Blood: Is gold standard.Get a more detailed answer ›
No difference: About 25 %-30% of Americans suffer from chronic bad breath. The most common cause of the bad breath is bacteria. Bacteria that cause bad breath release sulfur compounds and it stinks. Regardless, what kind of mouthwash is used, the best way to get rid of bacteria: floss and brush teeth and clean the tongue twice a day. Also see your dentist on the regular basis at least 2X a year.See 1 more doctor answer