Doctor insights on:
Im Having Cramps After My Period
I'm getting bad very painful cramps after my period. About 5-6 days after the end. Thus happens with every cycle. Why?
Not normal but..: Menstrual cramps can be painful for sure, but "postmenstrual" cramps could indicate an underlying problem. Pelvic infections, endometriosis, improperly placed IUD's and certain bladder disorders can cause non-physiologic (abnormal) pelvic pain. You need to make an appointment with your gyno for this. I hope it's nothing serious, but it's best to be sure. Best wishes. ...Read more
Prostaglandins: Your body produces prostaglandins to help break down the lining of your uterus at the end of your cycle (if you are not pregnant). Prostaglandins cause contractions of the uterus, inflammation and pain. Nsaids like Ibuprofen will help. If the cramping/pain persists even with the help of nsaids, visit your doctor, who will help manage your cramps and pain. ...Read more
Maybe ovulation pain: Most women ovulate (release an egg) two weks after start if period so pain may be from that. If it goes away in five days or less no worries. Sometimes urine infections can also cause pain that feels like memstrual cramps so if pain continues you will need to see a doctor for further testing ...Read more
Uterus or ovaries: When a patient presents with new onset of pain or cramping that is strongly associated with their cycle, they should be examined and an ultrasound ordered. The thought is that this might be related to ovarian cysts or uterine polyps. This might be the best first step to sorting this out! ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Why do i have cramps after my period?
- Why do i have cramps 3 days after my period?
- Why am i having cramps a week after my period?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why am i having cramps after my period?
- Why do i have cramps a week after my period?
- Cramping without a period
- Why am i still having cramps after my period?
- Talk to a gynecologist online for free