Doctor insights on:
If You Have In The Wound Vac Machine
Yes, Wound VACs work: Wound vacs are a type of closed dressing with the advantage of suctioning away excess fluid from the wound&allowing it to heal quicker as well making the wound smaller due to the negative pressure that is applied.They can also be a temporising measure to allow later skin graft placement or flap reconstruction.The latter is needed for durable coverage or exposed bone, tendons etc after injuries. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
KCI wound VAC: In my opinion the most effective of these devices is the kci system. It consists of a sponge, vacuum machine, tubing, and sticky plastic cover (looks like saran wrap). Usually 3 days per week the dressing is changed. The sponge (usually black but others available depending in wound goals) is placed over the entire wound, airtight plastic cover is put over top, tubing connected to suction. ...Read more
Wound vacs: Wounds that have a wound vacuum device on them for healing need to be followed using the manufacturers guidelines. As the number of wound vacuum devices increase on the market place, the answer to your question may differ. For the most commonly used devices, changing them at least three times per week is suggested. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Is it normal for drainage to be sitting still in the tubing of a wound vac? Or does that mean it is not working properly?
What will happen to my wound if my wound vac hasn't pulled any drainage out of my wound in over 24 hours?
Nothing: Your wound vac serves multiple purposes, only one of which is to drain fluid if it is present. Just because there is no fluid does not mean it is not working properly. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does it mean if you have a horrible pain in the bottom of your butt?
- What can you do to stop itching in the hand if you have a fracture?
- How to know if you have in ingrown toenail under the skin or something else?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Does the chlorine in pools irritate if you have blepharitis?
- Are the chances of getting pregnant better if you have sex in the morning?
- What kind of cancer can it be if you have blood in the urine?
- How could you know if you have torn the cartilage in your knee?
- Talk to a wound care specialist online for free