Doctor insights on:
If You Are Allergic To Penicillin And Eat Moldy Bread
Accidentally ate an entire sandwich with moldy bread almost 9 hours ago. Do I need to be concerned or watchful of symptoms? I'm allergic to penicillin.
No: Mold on bread is harmless. I am glad everything is well with you. ...Read more
Molds consist of airborn spores and spreading forms (hyphae) growing on surfaces. Several species are black including stachybotrys and aspergillus. Black mold ingestion has been associated with a toxic syndrome with brain and blood disorders. Most patients do not ingest black mold so the correlation with their ...Read more
No: Most mold on bread is rhizopus, not penicillium, and would not cause a reaction in those with allergy to the drug penicillin. There have been a few penicillium molds producing penicillin found in some sausages and cheeses, but generally, there probably is not enough penicillin to cause a reaction, since this is almost never seen. The usda recommends that moldy breads be discarded for everyone. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Nothing serious: Penicillin currently in use as an antibiotic is synthetic and not related to the mold spores found on bread. The bread mold may not taste so good, but should not induce an allergic reaction if penicillin allergic. An allergist can test for penicillin drug allergy as 75% of people will lose this allergy after 15 years of avoidance. ...Read more
No: There is no correlation. But, why would you eat moldy bread? ...Read more
There are many...: ...Many, many kinds of mold. You will have a reaction if you allergic to penicillin and you eat the type of mold that makes penicillin (penicillium). Penicillium species are found all over the world, and are sometimes involved in food spoilage, so there is a chance that mold growing on berries could be of the penicillium variety. I advise not eating moldy fruit. ...Read more
I am so busy at work as a nurse i rarely have time to eat.. I accidentally ate moldy bread today. Dangerous?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is it dangerous to eat moldy bread if you have a penicillin allergy?
- Can you eat seaweed if you are allergic to iodine?
- Are bananas safe to eat if you have gestational diabetes?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are pomegranates safe to eat if you have gestational diabetes?
- I am allergic to penicillin and i have tonsillitis what should i do if surgery
- What vitamins to take if you are allergic to seafood?
- If you are allergic to shellfish can you take pills with iodine
- Talk to an allergist and immunologist online for free