Doctor insights on:
If My Spleen Has Been Removed Should I Wear A Medical Bracelet
My spleen has been removed. Then what is the effect of this spleen removal and what are the precautions for me that I should follow?
You are more ...: Susceptible to serious infections due to encapsulated bacteria (eg, pneumococcus, meningococcus, hemophilus influenzae). You should be periodically immunized against those organisms. If you develop a febrile illness, you should seek medical attention immediately to start antibiotics. Have a good discussion with your primary care physician, hematologist, and/or surgeon. ...Read more
Depends on variables: This defect can be part of the asplenia syndrome, or bilateral right-sidedness. This can have features like a right sided heart apex, and abnormalities of the heart, lungs, liver and major blood vessels.If you have none of the additional features, it is just a curiosity.It may have a bearing on the function of your immune system. ...Read more
Amazingly: Very little difference. In rare cases, you can get septicemia from certain encapsulated organism. It is serious when it happens, but it is rare. You should get pneumococcal vaccination prior to any elective spleen surgery. And ask your surgeon if he can save at least some of the spleen if it is being done for a benign tumor. ...Read more
If spleen is removed does the liver take over all functions or do any of the serious functions get lost? Also since liver works more, overstressed?
Not completely, & no: There is much duplication within the immune system. That said, the spleen is important, especially for handling certain bacteria. Special vaccinations should be given, if not before, definitely after splenectomy. Liver also is part of the reticulo-endothelial system, but it will work just fine if the spleen has to be removed. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Should everyone wear a medical alert bracelet
- Should i be concerned that my skin has been itching throughout my pregnancy
- What should i look for when my child has been stug by a wosp?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- My wrist has been hurting for a few months and hurts badly what should i do
- Should i wear my sunglasses when in a convertible
- Should i wear my oxygen in the shower
- Should i have my wisdom teeth removed
- Talk to a hepatologist online for free