Doctor insights on:
I Swallowed A Piece Of Plastic Wrapping
My two year old took a bit of a cheese stick through the wrapper. She swallowed the plastic wrapping. Do I need to worry about it being poisinous?
Mgt: A small amount that did not cause respiratory problems should not be a problem. Observe her breathing and if any problems occur, please see the ED. ...Read more
Swallowed plastic: It will pass.Get a more detailed answer ›
Usually not: If it made it to the stomach, it should eventually pass in the poo in a few days. If the kid can drink fluids without choking, it made it to the stomach. A pedi surgeon liked to feed the kids stewed okra because if forms a soft bond with the foreign object and helps it move through the gut without scraping the walls. ...Read more
I just swallowed a piece of plastic, about a inch in size. It came from the plastic that surrounds a tube of cookie dough. Should I be concerned?
I swallowed a tiny piece of plastic from a pen by mistake because, it may have been sharp as it broke off, will this do me harm?
Doubtful: It is unlikely that a tiny piece of plastic will Injure your pharynx, esophagus or intestinal tract if you have no symptoms of discomfort in any of these areas or obvious bleeding or black stools. ...Read more
I think I swallowed a small piece plastic (thats from the noodles) what can I do to make it go down or am I ok.? What should I do.?
Should be fine: This happens often. Don't be concerned. Bread bag ties have gotten trapped in the gut and been found years later. Smaller things pass easily. ...Read more
I swallowed a rectangular piece of plastic about 7mm by 2mm from a disposable food container (recycle 1)? What are the risks? What should I do?
I might have swallowed a 1 cm square plastic piece from a orange juicer in the last 2 days since I saw the breakage only today. What should I do?
Two days ago, I swallowed a small piece of plastic which was broken from a fork I was using. Would it be harmful to my body? Would it get digested?
It could be: Harmful, as if it was sharp, it could have damaged your intestinal tract ranging from your esophagus all the way to your colon. But if it was a very small piece, more than likely it became encapsulated by your stool and at this point, you've likely already pooped it out. You can't digest plastic. At this point, you need to monitor for abdominal pain. If you develop pain reach out to your doc. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed a small piece of plastic (the end of a pen bit but not the nib) I swallowed it and can breathe fine but can feel it (no pain)?
Do not worry: If you swallowed it, not inhaled it, there is no reason to worry. It will come out of the other end on its own. ...Read more
Asparagus: For most, a small piece will transit out without difficulty within 3-4 days. If you consume some asparagus, especially in the stringy soupy form, it will form a congeal around the foreign object and soften the edges. Little kids swallow all sorts of stuff and my pedi-surgeon friend used this to help avoid having to go find them surgically. ...Read more
What will happen if I accidently swallowed a piece of a plastic wrapper from a popsicle? How do I know that it is in my body system? Please help.
Watch for symptoms: When you swallow something that is small usually the body gets rid of it in your stools. However, if the object is significantly large it might cause intestinal obstruction which requires immediate evaluation. You might present with abdominal pain and difficulty passing stools. If you are presenting symptoms please consider going to the ED. ...Read more
I wouldn't: Kids swallow all sorts of debris at various times and if it makes it into the stomach, it will pass without problems. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed a small piece of plastic that came off a tag on a sock & it been in my throats since Monday, I NEED HELP!!
ER: Go to ER they can check your throat visually or get the procedure done by an Ear Nose and Throat specialist. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed a small piece of Plastic off an icee wrapper trying to make a small whole what will happen Iam suppose to have a bypass in 3?
It shall pass too: As long as this is not causing a problem with your breathing it is not an emergency and it will get through the gastrointestinal tract without causing any internal damage. Take care. ...Read more
While eating with a plastic fork, I accidently bit off one of the sharp ends and swallowed it. Very small. Only like 3mm but it's sharp. Is this ok?
3yr old swallowed sharp plastic shaped in a "t" about 1" x 1.25".Ped said wait till pass. Any danger symptoms to look for? If doesn't pass, tx options?
Probably will pass: Even odd shaped things swallowed will usually pass. The most important thing is that it did not get stuck in the bak of the throat, but he would be coufging or gagging. Plastic won't usually show up on xray but it is important to make sure it passes in his stool. Rarely things can get stuck in the bowel wall, but unlikely. I have seen open safety pins pass, so look in the stool. ...Read more
Nothing: Plastic fork pieces are non-toxic and do not have significantly sharp outside edges even if broken. Your intestines are used to reacting to sharp objects by retracting and so penetration is extremely unlikely. Swallowing pieces of plastic cutlery is probably very common and I have seen no reports about this in the medical literature. So don't worry about it. ...Read more
Probably no worry: If he didn't choke on it and he just swallowed it than it should just pass without worry. ...Read more
If my son has swallowed several plastic puzzle pieces then will I need to do anything to get it out?
Depends: On how big they are and whether they have sharp edges, and whether he becomes symptomatic with drooling or vomiting or pain. He should be evaluated in your local ER ASAP. He may need an urgent upper endoscopy to remove the pieces before they travel out of the stomach and either get stuck or injure the bowel. ...Read more
I may have, not certain, swallowed a very small amount of plastic, it was not heated, from a TV Dinner?
Not to worry: While I don't recommend swallowing plastic, our bodies can not digest plastic, so it should harmlessly pass out of your body in your stools. It is possible a large amount could create problems by producing an obstruction, but I can't imagine a very small amount causing any trouble... ...Read more
I just swallowed a small peice of plastic that was on top of a pen lid, was about an inch long, should I be worried?
Likely will come out in stool, but to be certain f/u w/ urgent. Care, ER. Go immediately if pain. Plastic will be noted on X-ray so the can follow where it is. The article below discusses the issue (in children because they swallow objects). Of note when evaluating constipation there is a medical study that uses PVC markers. Do not worry.
http://www. Aafp. Org/afp/2005/0715/p287.htm ...Read more
Should pass: This object is small enough so it shouldn't get caught up in the gastrointestinal tract. I would expect passage rectally within a few days. Contact a physician if you experience discomfort in the chest or abdomen. Obviously the bb bypassed the respiratory tract. ...Read more
What do I do if my child swallows little pieces o hard plastic? It's almost like glass but not...
I swallowed the plastic coating of black pudding. I swallowed quite an amount. Google black pudding if you do not know what it is. Will I be ok?
Likely yes: I'm not sure by what you mean "quite an amount". Normally the plastic would be eliminated in your stool. It's not likely to be digested. Unless you ate a huge amount wouldn't think you would have a problem with obstruction of the bowel. Toxicity from the plastic likely minimal. If no abdominal pain or other difficulty it should pass normally in your stool ...Read more
I, unintentionally, swallowed a bit of a plastic coffee lid. I heard from someone plastic can give you cancer. Can I get cancer from eating plastic?
- Talk to a doctor online
- Is it harmful to accidentally swallow a piece of my top denture?
- The dangers wrapping your stomach with plastic wrap
- Accidentally swallowed a hard piece of candy
- I swallowed large piece of food now my esophagis hurts
- Baby swallowed piece of plastic wrapper
- Piece of plastic wrapper stuck in throat
- Swallowed small piece of glass
- Swallowed a piece of glass
- Swallowed small piece