Doctor insights on:
I Have Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy Should I Stop Playing Sports
Yes!: At least until you talk to your cardiologist and get their evaluation and opinion. Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy is associated with sudden cardiac death during maximal exercise, like during competitive sports. If you have been given this diagnosis you should be seeing a cardiologist that specializes in this condition. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Hypertrophy is an increase in size of an organ or tissue, or a particular part of the body. Examples include muscle hypertrophy due to lifting weights, ventricular hypertrophy (enlargement of a ventricle of the heart) due to high blood pressure or other heart disorders, or prostatic hypertrophy (enlargement of ...Read more
I was diagnosed with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Does that affect my sports-playing abilities?
Yes: Current guidelines recommend that individuals with hcm refrain from participation in competitive sports. However, patients with hcm can participate in low to moderate intensity activities to promote good health. Discuss this carefully with your cardiologist. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Knowledge=power: Most important is to understand what this diagnosis means, and what the risk is to you as an individual. The manifestation of this genetic abnormality is extremely variable, so you cannot assume what you read about applies to your case. A cardiologist with experience in this disease can advise you on your risk of heart arrhythmia, as well as exercise that should be safe, or avoided, in your case. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Hocm is a condition of local muscular obstruction to the outflow of blood from the heart. It is part of the spectrum of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is abnormally thick heart ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- I have hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy how can i cope with this
- Should i stop having sexual intercourse while i have cervicitis
- I have spondylolysis when can i start playing sports again
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What should i look for when choosing a joint brace to use while playing sports?
- Should i still go to work if i have bronchitis
- How long should i have swollen gums after deep cleaning?
- I have a tickling feeling in my ear should i get it checked out by my physician
- Talk to a cardiologist online