Doctor insights on:
I Am No Longer Of Childbearing Age How Much Folic Acid Do I Need To Take
Folic acid, AKA folate (folic acid) (vit B9), is recommended for all women wanting to get pregnant -- 0.4mg (400mcg) daily, which is important for preventing birth defects like spina bifida. Women w/ a hx these disorders should take 10x that amt daily -- 4mg (4000mcg) through the 3rd month of pregnancy. It won't affect fertility, chances of conception/twins, or periods. ...Read more
400-600 Micro-gram: You should start taking Folic Acid prior to getting pregnant even if you are not trying to conceive. Neural tube defects usually develop in the first 28 days of pregnancy, often before a woman even knows that she is pregnant. If you find you are pregnant and have not been taking folic acid, you should start now to help prevent any neural defects in the first three months of pregnancy. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No: Expiration dates are on medications and vitamins for a reason. Vitamins can lose their effectiveness. ...Read more
My homocysteine level is 20, 17 and 20 again.The thrombosis unit told me to take b12, B6 and folate (folic acid). For how long and when should I get rechecked.
Life long: I assume you are reporting your level in ?mol/l and in that case your levels are high.If you have a thrombosis related to elevated homocysteine level you should probably on those b vitamins for the rest of your life. You should get your homocysteine level rechecked in 6 months. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long do i take folic acid before getting pregnant?
- How long do i take folic acid for when pregnant?
- How long should i take folic acid during pregnancy?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Do i need to take the pill if i am nursing?
- How long should i be taking folic acid?
- Whats folic acid and why do i need it in pregnancy
- How much folic acid should a pregnant woman take?
- Talk to a gynecologist online for free