Doctor insights on:
Hypoechoic Heterogeneous Thyroid Nodule
I have a heterogeneous hypoechoic thyroid nodule with solid components, internal vascularity and calcifications. Is there a chance this is cancer?
Thyroid nodule at 3.4 x 4.7 x 2.3cm. Blood tests confirm all is normal. Ultrasound shows heterogeneous iso/small area hypechoic. Chances of cancer?
Depends: Hypoechoic, hypervascular, or calcifications on ultrasound need to be addressed particularly if the nodule is > 10mm. The solid component of a complex nodule can be benign or cancer. Typically a nodule greater than 10mm should be biopsied by ultrasound or smaller if there are calcifications or prior history of radiation or family hist. There is no ultrasound pattern that is diagnostic for cancer. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Hi, I recently found out I have 'multiple' thyroid nodules, it reads very heterogeneous w/prominent internal flow two of them measuring 1cm.
Fewer echoes on US: Hypoechoic describes the appearance of a nodule on ultrasound (us). It refers to a nodule that reflects back fewer sound waves compared to the normal thyroid tissue around it. While most thyroid cancers are hypoechoic, most hypoechoic nodules are not cancers. But a hypoechoic nodule may have a slightly higher risk of being a cancer than other nodules. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
It means irregular: Heterogeneous is the opposite of homogenous. Any thyroid nodule which is irregular and over 1cm in size needs to be investigated further. This may need a biopsy especially if it is growing or has increased in size over a period of 3 months. You should have your doctor guide you or send you to an endocrinologist. For a second opinion and further advice. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Heterogeneous thyroid gland without discrete nodule means
- Can a solid hypoechoic nodule in thyroid gland be cancer?
- What does hypoechoic thyroid nodule mean?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What is a complex hypoechoic thyroid nodule?
- Heterogeneous solid nodule mass in thyroid
- Is heterogeneous thyroid nodule with microcalcifications indicative of cancer?
- Heterogeneous thyroid nodule in lower pole cystic and solid
- Talk to a radiologist online for free