Doctor insights on:
How To Treat Constipation During Pregnancy
When your due date arrives, you will be more than ready to have your baby! Most women deliver the baby somewhere between 37 and 42 weeks. According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, only 5% of babies arrive on the exact due date. Approximately 7% of babies are not delivered by 42 weeks, and when that happens, it is referred to ...Read more
Lots of options: In my office we give patients a list of medications that are safe during pregnancy. The following meds and their generic equivalents can be used for constipation in pregnancy: metamucil, milk of magnesia, (magnesium hydroxide) Dulcolax oral or suppository, fiber supplements in general, high fiber foods and cereals, prune juice and if severe enough even an enema, though don't use this regularly as you contract from it. ...Read more
Constipation: Drink lots of water, increase the fiber in your diet with things like apples and green leafy vegetables, exercise if your doctor says ok. There is also a product called docusate sodium ( colace) that you can ask your doctor about. Some of the prenatals on the market even include this as the vitamins can cause constipation. This is a common complaint amongst pregnant patients. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Many things to try: There are many things you may try to alleviate/improve constipation symptoms in pregnancy. Potential solutions: increase the fluid, fiber, fruit and vegetable intake; add natural fiber stool softeners to your diet; take your prenatal vitamins (the extra iron is good but may exacerbate constipation) every other day. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to treat vomiting during pregnancy?
- How to treat nausea and vomiting during pregnancy?
- How to treat high blood pressure during pregnancy?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How to treat herpes outbreak during pregnancy?
- How to treat external hemorrhoids during pregnancy?
- How to treat a genital herpes outbreak during pregnancy?
- How to treat thrombosed hemorrhoids during pregnancy?
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online