Doctor insights on:
How To Treat An Ear Infection In Adults
Collection of purulent fluid behind tympanic membrane- many times secondary to nasal congestion/ viral uri- that can cause bulging of tympanic membrane, pain, redness or distortion of typical anatomic landmarks of membrane, poor mobility of membrane ultimately, tm can perforate or rupture with subsequent drainage of fluid into the ear canal. May take months for fluid from ...Read more
I have eustachian tube dysfunction that is continuous and painful. Can an adult get tubes to treat? (had them as a child for chronic ear infections)
Comfort measures: Some viral ear infections self heal in 2-4 day. Bacterial infections tend to persist and may lead to real complications. Infants need an early eval.If older if not better after 3-4 days, an evaluation and treatment is advised.Prior to antibiotics, hearing loss due to chronic middle ear disease was not uncommon and a significant complication called mastoiditis requires surgical drainage. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Correct diagnosis: Treatment comes after diagnosis and also involves the age of the patient. Children with a red bulging ear drum usually require an appropriate antibiotic. Adults following a cold usually have a viral infection leading to fluid in the middle ear which does not require an antibiotic. Many middle ear infections resolve spontaneously (80%). Finally, external otitis is another type of ear infection. ...Read more
Infections are invasions of some other organism (fungus, bacteria, parasite) or viruses into places where they do not belong. For instance, we have normal gut bacteria that live within us without causing problems; however, when those penetrate the bowel wall and enter the bloodstream, ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to treat inner ear infection in adults?
- How to prevent an ear infection in adults?
- How to treat middle ear infection in adults?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How do i treat an ear ache due to having a cold in a 10 year old?
- How to relieve ear infection pain in adults?
- How to use tea tree oil to treat an ear infection?
- How to treat an ear infection with a salt home remedy?
- Talk to a pediatrician online