Doctor insights on:
How To Tell If You Have Torn Cartilage In Your Knee
In the knee joint there are two types of cartilage, articular cartilage and meniscal cartilage. The meniscus is a triangular shaped piece of fibro-cartilage that sits between the femur and tibia. The meniscus can tear as a result of injury or secondary degenerative changes that occur over time. Because the meniscus cartilage dies not have it's own blood supply, tears often ...Read more
If you have a torn meniscus, which is the cartilage in your knee, do you need to get surgery to fix it?
Recovery variable: As you used the word "torn", i assume you mean meniscal cartilage. There ate two basic treatments: repair and partial meniscectomy. Repairs require time to heal and each type of tear repair has a unique time to heal . Partial excision only requires time for the joint to heal that is dependent on patient age, alignment, weight, muscle development and if any arthritis is present. ...Read more
Depends: It depends on the more specific nature of your problem. For example, some injuries may heal on their own, perhaps with some limited weight bearing, on the other hand, some cartilage injuries, such as a displaced menus cal tear may require surgery for repair or debridement. Your surgeon will be able to tell you much more about the specific nature of your problem. Thank you. ...Read more
Cartilage is a specialized type of tissue found in joints and areas that two bones come together. It is made up of specialized cells that live in the midst of proteins and sugars that absorb and release water similar to a sponge. Healthy cartilage helps decrease friction in joints, absorbs shock and protects the ends of the bone. Degradation of ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can you tell if you have torn cartilage or a muscle in your knee?
- How could you know if you have torn the cartilage in your knee?
- How to tell if you have arthritis in your knee?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How to tell if you have fluid in your lungs?
- How to tell if you have arthritis in your hands?
- How to tell if you have a stress fracture in your foot?
- How to get a flat tummy if you have torn muscles in your abdomen?
- Talk to a sports medicine specialist online for free