Doctor insights on:
How To Tell If You Have Esophageal Cancer
Cancer is a group of diseases that is characterized by uncontrolled cell growth leading to invasion of surrounding tissues that spread to other parts of the body. Cancer can begin anywhere in the body and is usually related to one or more genetic mutations that allow normal cells to become malignant by interfering with internal cellular control mechanisms, such as programmed cell death or by preventing ...Read more
How can you tell the difference between hiatal hernia/gerd symptoms and esophageal cancer symptoms?
Yes: Possible, but highly unlikely.Get a more detailed answer ›
Two types: Adenocarcinoma: caused by acid reflux or gerd. This leads to barrett's metaplasia, then low grade dysplasia, then high grade dysplasia and then cancer. Squamous cell carcinoma is caused generally by smoking and alcohol consumption which is synergistic. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends on stage: There are 4 stages of esophageal cancer (with a and b subtypes for some). For stage i and iia, the upfront therapy is surgery or esophagectomy. For stage iib or iii, treatment is chemoradiation followed by surgery, or definitive chemoradiation. For stage iv, the treatment is chemotherapy, + /- radiation. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Esophageal cancer is cancer of the esophagus, which is a muscular tube-like structure that connects the throat to the stomach. Symptoms include difficulty swallowing, pain with swallowing, vomiting, and coughing. Long standing heartburn may lead to changes in the tissue of the esophagus that is associated with higher risk of cancer. Tobacco and alcohol ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can i tell whether i have esophagitis or esophageal cancer?
- How to tell if you have colon cancer?
- How to tell if you have lung cancer?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How to tell if you have lymph node cancer?
- How to tell if you have thyroid cancer?
- How to tell if you have skin cancer?
- How can you tell if you have breast cancer?
- Talk to a oncologist online for free