Doctor insights on:
How To Tell If Child Has Megacolon
Megacolon: Dilation and hypertrophy of the large intestine, due to a variety of conditions. ...Read more
Toxic megacolon: This is a clinical syndrome that may be caused by many different inflammatory conditions. These days the most common infection may be clostridium difficile colitis. Ulcerative colitis and chrohn's disease may also be involved frequently. Parasitic infection would be a rare cause. ...Read more
Dilated, sick: Toxic megacolon is a dilation of the colon above 6 cm. It is typically associated with signs of severe illness (such as increased heart rate, fever, etc). It is diagnosed by a thorough assessment by your doctor and abdominal x-rays. It is a serious condition that often requires surgery. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No. (can be fatal): Toxic megacolon can be fatal. Hospitalization and treatment is needed. The large intestine, already stressed by inflammatory bowel disease or infection, one day stops moving and dilates full of air. The infection can spread throughout the large intestine, into the blood, and cause sepsis, shock, and death. Without rapid improvement, surgeons have to cut out the large intestine to save one's life. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Clear liquids: Clear liquids as long as possible. You need to discuss this with your physician. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to tell your child he has aspergers?
- How to tell if my child has chicken pox?
- How to tell if your child has down syndrome?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How to tell if your child has autism?
- How to tell if your child has asperger s syndrome?
- How can i tell if my child has whooping cough?
- How can you tell if your child has a concussion?
- Talk to a pediatrician online